Discuss Height of switch gear...??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Stuart19stuart

Hi. New to this site so hopefully this question is in the right place.

Working on new build atm, and sockets and switches are at the correct height (450 -1200mm off ffl)

But the other sparky has asked me to install fan isolator switches at 2010mm (top of box) and for the storage heaters, 200mm to the bottom of the box.

Is this what everyone does and I'm wrong or am I correct in saying they all need to be to brought to the same heights.

Stu

Working on new build atm, and sockets and switches are at the correct height (450 -1200mm off ffl)

But the other sparky has asked me to install fan isolator switches at 2010mm (top of box) and for the storage heaters, 200mm to the bottom of the box.

Is this what everyone does and I'm wrong or am I correct in saying they all need to be to brought to the same heights.

Stu

Paragraph 8.3 (page 69): Note: habitable room in Approved Document M is defined as a room used, or intended to be used for dwelling purposes (including a kitchen, but not a bathroom or utility room). A way of satisfying Requirements M1 would be to provide switches and socket outlets for lighting and other equipment in habitable rooms at appropriate heights between 450mm and 1200mm from finished floor level. From the ELECSA link below.

IMO, If the fan isolator is for a bathroom it could be arguable that the fan isolator doesn't have to be between 450mm and 1200mm from finished floor level. I normally install them above the door on new builds and never had any dramas.

Elecsa - Part M - Accessibility

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADM_2004.pdf

Last edited:
Agree with the above, always put them above door or that height, the isolators are for maintenance technically and someone in a wheelchair isn't going to be maintaining a ceiling mounted fan in a hurry. Done hundreds like this without issue.

And I also see the point about heater switches being lower, saves having all the flex on show down to the heater connection, then again you could mount them at 450mm the same as the sockets and make provision to hide the outgoing cables at 1st fix or even install a flush box for a flex outlet plate just above skirting height.

Stu
why would they? that height is for functional switching.

every new build ive come across has the ccu and fan isolator above door frame height.

the only exception to this is commercial where its at a good working height but we are talking tpn boards here.

Last edited:
I always give customers the choice to have fan isolators at normal socket height, because they are an eyesore above doors and stick out like a sore thumb

Of course you put a means if isolation next to fans mounted in the loft, I normally use a plug and socket for ease of maintainence. But some customers like to have an accessible means of switching it off 'just in case'
the switch is for maintinence so if they want it off they can go into the loft.

if they dont want it on all the time then they can have a humidity sensor controlling it

the switch is for maintinence so if they want it off they can go into the loft.

if they dont want it on all the time then they can have a humidity sensor controlling it

And if they want a way of turning it off which is accessible then that is what I install.
I design and install something which will provide the customer with what they want whilst complying with regulations, I don't dictate to a customer as to how their installation should be as some people seen to do.

Reply to Height of switch gear...??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock