Discuss Heinz 57 Heating - Suggestions in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bear with me as heatings systems are not my strong point.

I have been asked to look at a heating system at a friends house, it appears to be a bodged system whereby someone has modified an underfloor heating system by cutting into the feed to the manifold and placing a couple of radiators in the lounge area and also in an office. They are subsequent owners so we don't really know what goes where.

There were originally six underfloor heating zones, three of the actuators have been removed from the manifold, there are only three wired thermostats, as yet I have not tested where the cables from these go to (I would imagine the existing UFH wiring centre (which just looks like a junction box) It would make sense that the six zones have perhaps been divided between three thermostats?

The whole thing is controlled by a honeywell ST6998 timer which is in a different room from the boiler, the UFH controls are in a different room to the controller and boiler. When the timer comes on everything heating wise comes on.

I was thinking of putting in a Heatmiser UFH8 and 6 x wifi thermostats to control the existing UFH zones to get some control over the UFH zones.

Then putting a thermostatic radiator valve on the two rads, this would in my mind mean that they would only come on by default when heat is called for by any one of the UFH zones. In my mind they cannot be controlled separately as there is not a zone valve.

Does this sound about right?

There have been three 'heating engineers' who have gone in there and have said it's all to do with the electrics and exited stage left, he has no confidence left in plumbers. I tend to agree that I think it is a control issue rather than the wet side. I will get my plumber to sort out the valves and any other wet stuff though as the last time I dabbled with the water part of an electric shower I went home with wet pants/wet trainers/wet t shirt etc etc......!

The actuators are Watts 22c, there is no specific manufacturer control centre, just wired into a backbox with a blanking plate, just looked at the pictures I took yesterday there is only one actuator connected!?

IMG_3015.JPG

I am around there next week on an unconnected job, I intend to take a thermal camera with me, fire up the heating and work out the zones and see if the actuators are working.

I would recommend you enlist the support of a heating engineer...

I would agree with that.

You need someone who understands both aspects of the job, those being the controls side and the wet side.

Unfortunately, we are surrounded these days by clueless people in well sign written vans. Sign writing that purports all manner of knowledge. Often, interaction with these individuals leads to disappointment.

Rest assured, there are people out here who do 'know', they are just difficult to find.

Reply to Heinz 57 Heating - Suggestions in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net