Discuss Hello all.... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Graeme mannion

Hello electricians of Britain.
I am looking for some solid advice regarding my recent career move.

After working as a pub landlord for nearly 15 years I have recently enrolled onto a 32 week training course, the City and Guilds 3265 levels 2 and 3 in electrical installations including the 17th edition. It cost a fair few quid, but I see it as a smart investment....(hopefully)

My question is this...

Once I am finished I would like to know what the best move would be with regards to jobs to apply for to gain experience/get on the tools...e.t.c.

What kind of level would I be at?? What should I aim for jobs wise....

Any help or guidance would be a great help

Thanks all.

I am looking for some solid advice regarding my recent career move.

After working as a pub landlord for nearly 15 years I have recently enrolled onto a 32 week training course, the City and Guilds 2365 levels 2 and 3 in electrical installations including the 17th edition. It cost a fair few quid, but I see it as a smart investment....(hopefully)

My question is this...

Once I am finished I would like to know what the best move would be with regards to jobs to apply for to gain experience/get on the tools...e.t.c.

What kind of level would I be at?? What should I aim for jobs wise....

Any help or guidance would be a great help

Thanks all.[/QUOTE]

You dont say what area you envisage working in. But there is a post I just read about a person with four years work experience and 2365 level 2 and 3 who cant get electricians card with JIB. I wonder why you chose that particular course? Did the course provider advise you? Its a bit of a minefield to becoming an electrician proper. Are you thinking domestic, commercial or industrial?

You dont say what area you envisage working in. But there is a post I just read about a person with four years work experience and 2365 level 2 and 3 who cant get electricians card with JIB. I wonder why you chose that particular course? Did the course provider advise you? Its a bit of a minefield to becoming an electrician proper. Are you thinking domestic, commercial or industrial?

Thank you for your response.

I chose the course as I wanted to learn a trade and one that could lead onto other areas. It was chosen on advice from fellow electricians and course providers, I was told this was the best course to take to start on the way to become a full commercial electrician and become qualified to a level of skill when the course is complete to where I would be able to work in the industry then go on to gain my NVQ level three which is assessed within industry/on site.
This then allows me to be graded as an electrician within the JIB and obtain a gold card.

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Well you would only want JIB grade if you work on site. I dont know what you are thinking of earning unltimately but JIB rates are circa £15 ph is that gonna cover your outgoings? I think the 2365 is core to being an electrician but the mature route will require more such as 2394/5 AM2. There are currently 5 prescibed routes into being an electrician set by IET et al. If you do not meet those routes requirements, you wont be an electrician. I only say this as people have been told a lot of things, hand over there money and find they are not an electrician after all and cannot get into the industry. They are to be found on this forum, suggest you make sure you are on the correct route. Have you spoken to JIB, second thoughts forget that its worse than Bleak House and the courts of chancery trying to get anything done with them, but maybe try? And having done all that you still have to get work so you will be volunteering to get your portfolio done, or working for very little money to begin with in order to get experience. Have you given any consideration to domestic electrician?

Adults (16+) who are NOT currently employed within the industry and wish to embark on the most comprehensive 'Electrician's Course' suitable for candidates without any previous skills, experience or qualifications in the commercial or industrial sectors are advised to undertake the NEW City and Guilds 2365-02 Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures). Progression is required after completion onto the City & Guilds 2365-03 Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures). It is IMPORTANT that candidates are aware that after BOTH levels of the 2365 programme have been completed and before you can be graded as an 'Electrician' under the Joint Industry Board rules further units are required from the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Electrotechnical Technology 2357 (Both Knowledge and Onsite Performance Units/AM2). A City and Guilds Learner Declaration will be required on induction confirming that ALL candidates are fully aware of the industry requirements to become graded as 'Electricians'.

Further information regrading JIB grading of Electrcians can be viewed here
You may have seen all this before but it may be of interest if you have not. Gotta have a good road map.

makes sense. once you have the 2365 level 3, you then go on to am2 and nvq3, these need you to be working in the industry to gain practical experience. best option is to go for nvq3 and then go into industrial sparking.a course on plc'sis useful as well. forget the domestic sector.ot's all a race to the bottom competing with the poles and romanians who will work for peanuts.

Thank you all for your comments. Any info I can gather from people who know what they are talking about is priceless.
How difficult will it be for me to get work in the industry with just my levels 2 and 3 so i can work on getting my NVQ3? What kind of positions will I need to be aiming at applying for? Electricians mate? Will I have to do this for free or is it something I can earn from?

Thanks all

apply for electricians mate jobs with agencies. Rullion is one. sign up for job alerts in your area with indeed, jobsite, trovitjobs, etc. you'll need a cscs card (H&S test costs about £40) to get on site work. going rate is around £10 - £12 /hour.

apply for electricians mate jobs with agencies. Rullion is one. sign up for job alerts in your area with indeed, jobsite, trovitjobs, etc. you'll need a cscs card (H&S test costs about £40) to get on site work. going rate is around £10 - £12 /hour.
Thank you for the sound advice fellas. Really appreciate it.

Reply to Hello all.... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net