Discuss Hello! Decorator takes on (all the safe bits of) rewiring his garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mojo

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I don’t usually introduce myself in forums, but just fancied it here.

I’m not a trainee (though I’m considering it), I’m a 45 year old decorator who has a garage without power, so in conjunction with an electrician friend, I’m studying and researching how to wire it.

NOT connecting to the house CU - I’m not that brave (or stupid). Everything but. Taking my time, watching GSH Electrical videos on YouTube, buying the right bits.

There might be some who are horrified by this. If that’s you, just say so. But don’t make me not want to post here, please. That would be counter productive. I’m looking to learn.

Thanks

Is your electrician friend going to test and sign this off for you?
A few tips...
Don't have bare copper showing.
Make sure screw terminals are tight.
Sleeve where required, and always the earth wire if you're using T&E.
Don't spill your beer.

Hi Mojo,

Welcome to the forums.

Feel free to ask away. I've given you a DIY badge so it's clear you're a DIYer.
is that Decorator in YA-YA land?

@OP.don't be put off. do whatever you are competent at, but always under the guidance of your friendly electrician.

what about his bottle of wine and the flower you are going to send him ,is the bottle empty , and flowers in the bin. :D
dunno about flowers in the bin, but this is the first ever song played on radio 1 when it first went on air sept.1967, long before they started playing crap.

trouble with smooth radio they're mostly ballad type tracks.never heard pink floyd, black sabbath etc. on there. my van radio is permanently tuned to XS msanchester. pure rock ( that's when it's in range, signal won't get past about 30 miles.)

what do you want to know?

I’m alright for the moment thanks, I just pinged my sparky mate a few queries, but I’ll have more questions as I go. Not in any rush.

Is your electrician friend going to test and sign this off for you?
A few tips...
Don't have bare copper showing.
Make sure screw terminals are tight.
Sleeve where required, and always the earth wire if you're using T&E.
Don't spill your beer.

He is. All good tips, thanks. Bought some sleeving. Beer not a problem - I’m not a drinker. I know - am I really a decorator??

Hi Mojo,

Welcome to the forums.

Feel free to ask away. I've given you a DIY badge so it's clear you're a DIYer.

Thank you. I feel better about that.

In terms of materials there are many brands, the cheapest ones i find quite brittle and poor.
Not sure if you are chasing in or surface mounting them but id go for schneider thesedays. Decent quality and price. That said speak to your mate he might get good prices at denmans, rexel etc as there own brand is quite good too.
Dont forget metal clips or some banding strap if running cables over doors or the ceiling that would come down in the way. Got to factor the risk of collapse in a fire.

Also worth considering where the cables come down. Easy to have something fall and damage a cable in a garage. So maybe conduit(felxi is good for this) or trunking?

In terms of materials there are many brands, the cheapest ones i find quite brittle and poor.
Not sure if you are chasing in or surface mounting them but id go for schneider thesedays. Decent quality and price. That said speak to your mate he might get good prices at denmans, rexel etc as there own brand is quite good too.
Dont forget metal clips or some banding strap if running cables over doors or the ceiling that would come down in the way. Got to factor the risk of collapse in a fire.

Also worth considering where the cables come down. Easy to have something fall and damage a cable in a garage. So maybe conduit(felxi is good for this) or trunking?

Hi Gavin, thanks for your comments. I’ll tell you where I’m at so far..

Have gone metal boxed for my four double sockets and light switch (some MK in there). Cable tray laid for my SWA; I screwed to the wall, but now think I will get some standoffs for it. Stainless steel cable ties for that. Bought 9m of 20mm circular pvc conduit for my power, to be secured with galvanised saddles. Two double led strip lights.

I ran 52A SWA from my house in case we ever have an electric car or two.

Buying most of my stuff from tlc direct, recommended by my sparky friend.

A28080B6-7BF4-490C-8DDC-F40B19129AA6.jpeg
8EFFBCCE-4897-46F0-9B32-C45D5CCCB1CE.jpeg

Reply to Hello! Decorator takes on (all the safe bits of) rewiring his garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net