Discuss Hello! Decorator takes on (all the safe bits of) rewiring his garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B614D5D8-390C-42C6-AB5A-D6EB7B4E7E19.jpeg
So here’s a thing. I’ve replaced the old plastic single switch. Leads here are legacy, but I’ve added the fly lead to earth the faceplate.

This garage has had power in the past, an old fuse wire box feeding the light and one double socket. Wired with twin and earth. Which I think would be frowned upon now.

So there’s one lead from the old fuse box, and one from the light. I was thinking I could run one of those to my first strip light, and run a new wire from that to the second strip light, so both will come on from one switch.

The lead from the old fuse box I could use to power some spotlights at the back end of the garage, which I’ll either use as a spray area and/or have a workbench. The other switch would work these.

This will be very basic for anyone else reading, but I’m scratching my head! How do I make the circuit? Do I need more leads? Am I going to have two wires going into one or more parts of the switch? Do I have the right switch for what I want to do?

I think what I’ll do is draw out what I think the circuit should look like. That might help.

In the meantime, if anyone fancies giving me a hint, please do. But don’t give it me on a plate! Thanks.

draw it out on paper and it will become clearer. you have a feed from the board so now you have to consider the switch positions and how you will take it to the lights and how many. will they be all on together or switched separately

My OCD says that the pipe should come in the centre hole of the socket box. That’s just me.

Your SWA feeding the board... sleeve the grey to show it’s a neutral and sleeve the black to show it’s an earth

It should! Thing is - and I’ve probably buggered this already - I wanted to leave some space on the right, because I don’t know what sized bits a charge point for an ev would need. Thanks for the reminder on sleeving, will pick some up.

draw it out on paper and it will become clearer. you have a feed from the board so now you have to consider the switch positions and how you will take it to the lights and how many. will they be all on together or switched separately

Hi Gavin, I drew it out last night. I had all neutrals going into a choc block (or one of those small plastic snap box things) and a fly lead joining the two commons at the bottom of the switch. I’ll draw it up more neatly and upload it.

That’s my plan, yes.

Thanks for that, wasn’t sure whether it was okay to run a fly lead between the commons.

Will also run an earth lead to the front plate, of course. That earth lug is going to get busy. Any way round that at all?

Reply to Hello! Decorator takes on (all the safe bits of) rewiring his garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net