Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Hello everyone - 3-phase German wiring needs in the Non UK Electrical Works area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Paul Cole

Paul Cole New EF Member

Hello everyone,

I've recently moved to east Germany into an old terrace house that requires updating. A German forum has helped me upto a point with understanding what we have, but the language has become a strain. Can anyone here comment on the configuration we have and on my ideas for renovation before I employ someone?

And if anyone knows anyone who fancies a working holiday, we may even employ someone from here!

Kind regards to you all,
    Paul, Susann, Lennart and Catherine Cole

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Pictures, diagrams would help a great deal

3. Paul Cole

Paul Cole New EF Member

I was going to create a new conversation and provide photos and more details there. Is that the done thing? Or can I expand on the greeting post?

4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Hello I have moved this thread to another section so keep all posts to the thread.

5. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    reply to your existing, or edit it if you are in time, sorry Mods didn't mean to stick my oar in.

6. Paul Cole

Paul Cole New EF Member

Hello everyone,

Following on…

The electrical system has three-phase entering the property, and a single-phase meter. The meter then feeds a number of relays that control the lighting and a series of old (10A) miniature circuit breakers. There is then a single phase connection to a more modern (90s) consumer unit that returns a neutral to a busbar distributing the earths.

The 90s consumer unit controls all kitchen circuitry and a couple of other radial output circuits in the cellar (also the location of the consumer unit).

What I planned to do was (I thought) simply replace the existing consumer unit that contains a Main Switch and no RCDs, with a more secure unit. Stage 2 would then be to add further circuit breakers and circuitry controlling upstairs (c. 4 radial) to the consumer unit at some point this spring.

Stage 3 would then be to make the old circuit-breaker-relay system redundant, which could then be ripped out and a new connection to the meter be established. This could either be done circuit-by-circuit, or as a single project.

The electricians on the German forum have had an interesting debate, with one guy saying it was plausible but who also suggested that I replace the meter with a 3-phase meter, which I didn’t understand the need for.

The German Code is different to the UK which is what I’m spending my time trying to understand at the moment, but in principle, isn’t simply replacing the consumer unit practically possible? There is currently a single phase feed with a neutral return to a busbar!

Many thanks
    Paul

electricity cabinet.jpg

3phase.jpg

single phase to unit - brown live.jpg

current unit.jpg