• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss HELLO! How to know how much you uk socket can take? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Are you not limited by the fuse in the extension lead plug?
What are you going to be plugging in?

Well....each extension lead is limited to a maximum of 13amps, so the maximum you'll be able to physically pull would be a (nominal) limit of 26amps.

IIRC the test spec for BS1363 double sockets is that they should be able to handle a constant total load of 20amps.

I do not have a current ( :) ) copy of BS1363. But the 1995 version said this and i do not think that things have changed:

13A double socket rating to BS1363

BS1363-2:1995 requires for double socket outlets that both socket outlets have loads applied via test plugs, 1 test plug having a load of 14 amps whilst the other has a load of 6 amps, making a total load of 20 amps on the cable supplying the double socket outlet. The double socket outlet is then subjected to this loading for a minimum continuous period of 4 hours or longer until stability is reached with a maximum duration of 8 hours (stability being taken as less than 1 degC rise within 1 h). The test is passed if neither the terminals / terminations, nor the accessible external surface, increase in temperature by more than 52 degC.

IIRC the test spec for BS1363 double sockets is that they should be able to handle a constant total load of 20amps.

I may be able to advise more if you can say exactly are you planning to plug in to these "fair amount of extension leads". and why are so many required?

Just a small correction @Taylortwocities. His quote is "...I'm going to be using a fair amount on extension leads"

I presume he is going to be plugging lots of things into a few extension leads... We will have to wait and see what the OP's reply is.

pretty self explanatory, just need to know how many watts I can pull from each plug as I'm going to be using a fair amount on extension leads.
Power =Volts time Amps the max Amps would be 13 A governed by the 13 A fuse in the plug top times the voltage 240 Volts

Power =Volts time Amps the max Amps would be 13 A governed by the 13 A fuse in the plug top times the voltage 240 Volts

As I put in #post 2 mate.

Doesn't really matter as it seems the OP has done a runner....

Yes, to turn that into the load that the BS1363 socket is tested to carry, the maximum load would be 4800watts.

Anyway, got a busy day today. Market in town, getting all Christmassy!

Oxford is made for Christmas:) ...just have to sell a property,to afford to park...;)

Well....each extension lead is limited to a maximum of 13amps...

Completely agree! While most socket-outlets are rated 20A, the plug-top fuse will be limited to a maximum of 13A (approximately 3kW).

13 a plug @ 240v = 3120w.
Remember that according the the ESQCR, the voltage used in calculations is 230V rather than 240V. We use 230V because current is inversely-proportional to voltage when maintaining the same power (in Watts); as the voltage decreases, the current increases proportionally. In practical terms, this means that while maintaining the same power-consumption, if the voltage is grater than 230V (which is common) the current will decrease which results in lower temperatures in the conductors (which is safer).

Therefore:
230V x 13A = 2990W

Last edited:

Reply to HELLO! How to know how much you uk socket can take? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back