• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Hello, Im new and want a career change. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

curly

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi My names Ryan but you can call me Curly

Im 29 based in glasgow and have been a painter and decorator for the last 12 years. I have been running my own business for the last 4 years ( as a sole trader doing domestic decorating jobs) and have decided to wind it in as its almost xmas the busiest time of the year and i should be really busy but i have very little work.

because of this i have had a rethink about were I am going in life and decided that i no longer want to be a painter, originally i wanted to be a spark but the painters apprenticeship came up first.

In Scotland you have to become a mate for at least a year before you can do an apprenticeship (when your over 24) once you have been a mate for a year you then have to find a company that will train you. Currently getting someone to take me on as a mate is very difficult as i have very little experience, I might reluctantly have to go out at the weekend for free in order to get that initial experience and a reference :-(

So this is were Im at thanks for reading

welcome Ryan .possible you are in the same boat has other people
that come on this forum .my advice is to sending out a cv or look in the yell to local company's and try to get into a training centre .
but you will have to be self funded . good luck.

Hi buzz thanks for that, you can't do that in Scotland you have to do the route I said above, become a mate and go from there
welcome Ryan .possible you are in the same boat has other people
that come on this forum .my advice is to sending out a cv or look in the yell to local company's and try to get into a training centre .
but you will have to be self funded . good luck.

Emmmmm no thanks the wife was trying to get me to be a bit engineer and I also said no.

Last time I didn't do what a wanted hopefully I can make it happen this time

Sounds a tough situation to be in curly! I’m glad here you can just go straight to college and get quals.

If I was you I probably would email/write to some sparks and see if you can work with them free of charge and gain some experience on days off etc

Well once I get my foot in the door hopefully I can get in with a company the other side of the coin is that the College courses and books are fully funded at any age all you need is 1 years experience and a company willing to teach you for 3 years

I think that's what I'm going to have to do work a bit for free when I can, look at it as an investment.

That is pretty decent to be honest, I’m 27 so I’m paying for my college courses and I’ve already paid £1050 just for the C&G 7202. I’m guessing the 2nd and 3rd year C&G 2365 is going to cost even more per year than that!

Fingers crossed someone takes you on!

Hi bud,my own view on your situation,would be that you may need to find a paying gig,to fund the time it may take,to do quals and get experience.
You could seek employment in an associated industry,which would increase your chances of getting the experience required.

There are companies,in the electrical world,taking on lads,but they tend to be doing quite restricted elements of the job. I would include meter fitting,in this class.

I wish you the very best of luck,and never underestimate,the power of determination. Also,you will need a solid,sense of humour...

Why don't you try your hand at network live jointing?

You can tell them about your experience,slackening off all those socket face plates,and tucking that damp paper behind,with the radio still plugged in and working ;)

(Just testing you...all the best:cool:)

Hi bud,my own view on your situation,would be that you may need to find a paying gig,to fund the time it may take,to do quals and get experience.
I fully intend to do decorating untill I get a paying mate's job, and probably after for extra money's. I'm just going to do some volunteering to get a reference and some experience.

The senses of humour is sorted
Why would you want to join all us daft old cranky codgers ?
:D

1. Well that's what a wanted to do
2. Have you seen a painters salary books in they get about £10.50ph cis £12-£14

Thanks guys

I am sort of in the same position as you Curly. I'm a Dryliner by trade have been for getting on 15 yr but now decided to change trades.

People say I'm nuts as the salary when fully qualified electrician is basically the same as I was getting previously but something I've always been interested in.

The steps I'm taking is enrolling in college And yes it's going to be a long old road but hopefully it's worth it in the end.

Best of luck

Reply to Hello, Im new and want a career change. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back