Discuss Hello, new DIY warrior here in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thank you for identifying my limitations. I mean it. It's somewhat comforting to know that it can be sorted in minutes with the right equipment. So it's not me, it's the tools ( the lack of)
Poor workman blames his tools, poor spark blames his switches. :D

Now I will have to find a good electrician, one that let's me watch and explains and doesn't charge more for the privilege. Cause I still want to know why that wiring doesn't resemble any diagrams.

On that note one small question:
Is it common to have 3 core coming in to the two way switch from light instead of two core? Why all examples of wiring only show 2 core?
And is it common to have not just the neutrals ( grey with blue sleeve in my case) separated in choc box but all the browns too?

I'm asking because I can't find any examples in writing or drawing of this and god have I searched! Knowing it's something more complicated I'm dealing with would make my failure to fix it a little easier to digest.

In fact, after all I've read and seen, I'm sure I can make a new two-way switch system from scratch in my house. but this one...
Watch this space! :D:D:D:D

If you have a choc block with browns and another with greys sleeved blue,the reasons would make perfect sense to most electricians(without having to resort to test meters)
The diagrams,or lack of diagrams in your case,does not mean that the circuit is non standard or unusual
The diagrams displayed tend to just depict simple circuits rather than connections to best suit what is intended

Unfortunately your description does not match what you have appear to actually have at the light switches so it can be hard to define the problem. (we would have to await the pictures)
A three core cable might well come from light fitting if the power were being taken on elsewhere, either from the switch (incoming supply) or from the fitting (switched supply), though often used for two gang switches as well.
Often the choice of core to use can be very variable depending on the installer so it is often not possible to assess a resolution without being there with test equipment.

If you have a choc block with browns and another with greys sleeved blue,the reasons would make perfect sense to most electricians(without having to resort to test meters)
The diagrams,or lack of diagrams in your case,does not mean that the circuit is non standard or unusual
The diagrams displayed tend to just depict simple circuits rather than connections to best suit what is intended

Yeah, doesn't stop me from wishing there would be a clear instruction for every possible wire situation imaginable! But I understand why that would be dangerous.

Unfortunately your description does not match what you have appear to actually have at the light switches so it can be hard to define the problem. (we would have to await the pictures)
A three core cable might well come from light fitting if the power were being taken on elsewhere, either from the switch (incoming supply) or from the fitting (switched supply), though often used for two gang switches as well.
Often the choice of core to use can be very variable depending on the installer so it is often not possible to assess a resolution without being there with test equipment.

I will post pictures tomorrow. Might be a bit tough to work out as the back box is so full of choc blocks and cables. But I'll try to show well the 3 sleeve-identified cores available ( the rest doesn't matter really as they are blocked together and I haven't touched them)
I have currently connected lights but the 2 way doesn't work quite like it would have to. If I turn one switch off, the other won't work but if both switches are in " on position " ( closed) I can turn the light off at either. I hope that's not unsafe.

Hopefully someone looks at a picture tomorrow and goes: this as simple as...

If there are no unconnected cables and all cores are safely terminated and the circuit breaker has not tripped then it is unlikely that this would be dangerous in normal use. However we cannot say for certain.

If there are no unconnected cables and all cores are safely terminated and the circuit breaker has not tripped then it is unlikely that this would be dangerous in normal use. However we cannot say for certain.
Thank you, it sounds like I have good odds of living to post a pic tomorrow

Here I am again, with some pictures this time.
Just to recap:
I have a two way light switch for my hallway. There is a two gang switch downstairs ( one gang controls downstairs hall light and it has been wired up and working fine) and a single gang one upstairs. Both switches should be able to control upstairs hall light.
I can't quite wire it up right.

Upstairs switch contains 3 x 3 cores , 2 between switches and one coming in from above. There is one black core ( with brown sleeve) unconnected from top 3 core. From 3 core between switches there is one grey ( brown sleeve) and one black ( brown sleeve ) unconnected.

Downstairs switch has grey ( brown sleeve), black ( brown sleeve) and brown cores unconnected.

Any help?
I hope I have attached images right..

Thank you.

WP_20161209_11_19_32_Pro20161209113532.jpg

WP_20161209_11_26_37_Pro20161209113738.jpg

I don't think an electrician did that work. And those switches aint gonna work on that box. You did this did you? The back boxes arent deep enough. I don't think I would care to advise you in this case. You must get an electrician in this is not safe. Can you post the certificate you were issued?

Last edited by a moderator:
summat about switches i think, up for on or up for off. whatever.
Here I am again, with some pictures this time.
Just to recap:
I have a two way light switch for my hallway. There is a two gang switch downstairs ( one gang controls downstairs hall light and it has been wired up and working fine) and a single gang one upstairs. Both switches should be able to control upstairs hall light.
I can't quite wire it up right.

Upstairs switch contains 3 x 3 cores , 2 between switches and one coming in from above. There is one black core ( with brown sleeve) unconnected from top 3 core. From 3 core between switches there is one grey ( brown sleeve) and one black ( brown sleeve ) unconnected.

Downstairs switch has grey ( brown sleeve), black ( brown sleeve) and brown cores unconnected.

Any help?
I hope I have attached images right..

Thank you.

View attachment 34821

View attachment 34822
Crikey that's a right hodgepodge of wiring, Ilsa, do yourself a big favour and get an Electrician in to do the repairs, thats all wrong, wrong boxes wrong switches, could be life threatening

I don't think an electrician did that work. And those switches aint gonna work on that box. You did this did you? The back boxes arent deep enough. I don't think I would care to advise you in this case. You must get an electrician in this is not safe.

Electrician did it...
Well, the cables were there but run in trunking on top of the walls with some plastic bog standard boxes and switches. I wanted cables to be chased and new reproduction bakelites to be fitted ( they come on a wooden plinth).
I hated how the guy worked. He managed to destroy walls, but the chases were not deep enough, so the boxes are not deep enough. Wiring IS REALLY, really tight in there. However, it did work right before I disconnected the switches. Or it seemed to. I'm not sure if I checked all positions...

When he left the job, the wiring in the boxes was so tight, that it was pushing the cover open and there was no space for all the screws that go in the box to hold the covers on.
I wish he just would have said: hey, the back boxes I have are no good for this job, let me pop out and get some suitable ones, £6 please.
Argh...

When I look for an electrician, what is the best way to describe this job? Deepen the chase, fit bigger / better suited boxes, inspect and fix the wiring if needed? How do I tell if the next electrician knows what he's talking about? Or is it like Bible: trust, don't ask any questions and then pray.. :)

If an electrician did it where is the certificate. A proper electrician will issue a certificate. Go on line go to Electrical safety first.org look for an electrician. Or go to the Trustmark website type in your post code choose electrician. All the people on those sites are registered through a government scheme proving their ability to undertake such work. Look in you local paper adverts. In any event the wiring is poorly terminated, stripped and the earth is floating etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I look for an electrician, what is the best way to describe this job? Deepen the chase, fit bigger / better suited boxes, inspect and fix the wiring if needed? How do I tell if the next electrician knows what he's talking about? Or is it like Bible: trust, don't ask any questions and then pray.. :)
Ask the Electrician you contact if he could call in to give you a quote on some remedial after the last "electrician" messed up

Thank you guys, I will follow your advice and get someone to look at it asap, as I can't carry on with the rest of works because of this

Don't blame the electrician, when chasing walls out it can go either way depending on the wall itself, nice clean chases if the plaster is good or as with many old houses the plaster is already blown waiting to fall off the wall as soon as it touched, it's not the sparks fault it starts dropping off, i've been to jobs were i've told the customer before i started work you will need a plasterer to redo most of the wall as when you knock on the plaster it's hollow and you just know it wont be just filling a chase.

That work doesn't look like it's been done by a spark even a crap spark, more a diy warrior/landlord thinking they'll have a crack themselves and save a few quid, i'd get an electrician in who can rectify and improve whats already been done.

Reply to Hello, new DIY warrior here in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net