Discuss Hello, not a DIY cowboy by any means but need help! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dtuppy

-
Reaction score
Hi guys, by no means an electrian but do a bit of my own work which I then get signed off by a mate who is a full qualified electrian ( I also leave the complex stuff to him) anyhow wondering if one of you could help me! I’ve on to second fit of my garage which I’ve turned into a bit of a work shop, my problem if that one of my tools is only made in America and as such come with a USA plug rated at 110V~120V. Now I know you can get adaptors to take the plug and drop the bolt BUT do any of you know if they make a socket that does it already for UK Supply? Kinda of like a bathroom socket I’m guessing?

What is this tool, you will need an isolating transformer to convert our 230v to 120v. The US tool will be rated for 60Hz but any transformer you use here will output at 50Hz. If a motor is involved it will not be as efficient and may overheat.

SC5476.JPG

Maybe something like this depending on load.

##edit hopefully right pic now.

Bathroom sockets contain isolating transformers.
If they have 2 outlets one will be tapped off the end of a coil, the other half way along.
Not aware of an item that would do the same for general use sockets.
Last time I did anything like this was about 12 years ago, we used a transformer between pairs of Hotel rooms to supply one socket in each of the pairs of rooms.

There was a similar thread recently about an American built vacuum cleaner.... The overall advice was to ditch it and buy the UK model of the machine
You may find the output of a shaver socket is too low for a power tool and as said the frequency is different in uk so it may run too slow or overheat.
Regards,T

Reply to Hello, not a DIY cowboy by any means but need help! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net