Discuss Help 3phase dishwasher in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brum

Hi guys fitted a commercial dishwasher today extended c/w supply made drainage alterations etc.Being a helpful stupid bloke connected up cables.Didnt know neutral changed from black to blue so have connected up incorrectly none of the breakers tripped am I in the brown stuff or not im a plumber to trade(thought it better to put that in last)In my day blue was a phase and black neutral...help plz:willy_nilly:

Hi guys fitted a commercial dishwasher today extended c/w supply made drainage alterations etc.Being a helpful stupid bloke connected up cables.Didnt know neutral changed from black to blue so have connected up incorrectly none of the breakers tripped am I in the brown stuff or not im a plumber to trade(thought it better to put that in last)In my day blue was a phase and black neutral...help plz:willy_nilly:

if it's 3 phase what were the other colours of the live phases and neutral, red yellow blue and black or brown black grey and blue? if it's the latter then go back and change it before it is turned on

Hi,

If I was you I would slip an Electrician a nice wedge to come and have a look for you, or alternatively ask some nice ladies ( no inference intended to the opposite sex here, but they are so much better at this than us lowly gentlefolk) to do the washing up.
Strap yourself in tight , it's going to be a rough ride.

Regards.

3 phase dishwasher... is that 3 diffeernt birds on shiftwork in my kitchen..... heaven.

Yes, "harmonised" colours have been around for a few years now.
I think the idea was and is madness.
For the very reason you have illustrated. Confusion.

That doesn't absolve you from the gaffe. It's a job you should not have undertaken.
But I do have sympathy - you were trying to help.

I don't know what the consequences are likely to be in terms of possible equipment damage.
You've swapped a phase and the neutral. Some bits of the kit will get line to line voltage as they should. Other things like motors expecting 3-phase will get unbalanced.

But possibly worst is that some bits of the kit designed for line to neutral will get line to line voltage. Not good. Possible or even probable damage.

I'm sorry I can't be the bearer of better tidings........

Yes, "harmonised" colours have been around for a few years now.
I think the idea was and is madness.
For the very reason you have illustrated. Confusion.

That doesn't absolve you from the gaffe. It's a job you should not have undertaken.
But I do have sympathy - you were trying to help.

I don't know what the consequences are likely to be in terms of possible equipment damage.
You've swapped a phase and the neutral. Some bits of the kit will get line to line voltage as they should. Other things like motors expecting 3-phase will get unbalanced.

But possibly worst is that some bits of the kit designed for line to neutral will get line to line voltage. Not good. Possible or even probable damage.

I'm sorry I can't be the bearer of better tidings........

can't agree more. absolute lunacy. harmonisation with what? the french, no they still cling to red,white,blue, as it's the flag of the king killers. spanish. no, they use whatever colour suits. germans, who cares, we won.

Bit late now but for future you need to manually check what colour they've used for neutral when connecting up any 3-phase appliance.

The components most likely damaged by incorrect wiring are the control board and any other electronics there may be plus the motor. You (or someone more knowledgeable with electrics) needs to test all the components and repair/replace them as necessary.

Well thanks guys I was expecting a lot more abuse sparky came over and changed black and blue connections fired it up and away it went.A very valuable lesson has been learnt this weekend tonight I will sleep need to make up for last nights lack of.Thanks again

wish they would have told me
Incumbent upon you to find out before playing around with wiring.

I don't mean that unkindly but what you did could have caused damage and possibly put others at risk.

A positive outcome is that you have, inadvertently or otherwise, highlighted the issue.
No doubt you will have learned from it. Perhaps others can too.

This is a little lesson in testing to prove what is,and not what should be. I have come across items of equipment connected incorrectly,that functioned fine,because the 3P N+E was wired incorrectly upstream,on a different occasion. A case of two wrongs maybe not making a right,but possibly saving a life...colours,markers,labels,they all remind me of what my dad used to say when he was teaching me to drive..."See that car with its' nearside indicator on,son?...all that tells you for sure,is the lamps working..." :bow:

Reply to Help 3phase dishwasher in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net