Discuss Help / advice isolating wall light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello
First time here. I was just wondering if any one can give me a bit of advice.
I’ve removed two wall lights in the living room of an old uk house. I’ve isolated the live feed to the lights from a double switch and was intending to isolate all of the wires however I can’t find where the neutral and earth can be terminated at.
They are on the same line as the main light lin the living room but this fixture Only has a live neutral and earth for that light.
I can only assume that they would be in the ceiling space which unfortunately can not be accessed.

What are my options?. I don’t feel happy leaving the neutral wire still connected in the wall.
Would this be an issue?.

Thanks For any guidance

If the neutrals arent in the ceiling rose, and not in the back of the switch box, then there must be a joint box somewhere. (Which should have been left accessible)

Is there a second switch in the room? Or a switch back to back with that one? The neutrals may have been connected there.

You’ve just said you’re not an electrician, so please make sure the circuit is isolated before removing switches from the wall

Thanks for the help I appreciate this.
There’s one double switch one for the ceiling light and one for the two wall lights. Both have a live and neutral ware ( red and black ) The live in to the switch has been isolated and that was the only live wire which runs to the wall lights. I’ve checked continuity with a multi meter and voltage and I’m happy there’s no live supply to the wall lights anymore.
I thought the neutral would be in the ceiling rose however it’s not a standard light fitting and only has a line neutral and earth feed.

Again checking continuity between the earth and neutral between the ceiling light and the wall light indicates that they are connected but I can’t find any access. It’s a very old building that’s had a lot of renovation work done to it and I suspect the only way to gain access would be in the loft area but this has been converted and fitted wardrobes built on top of where the ceiling light is so I’ve got no access to them.

I’m sure it’s a bad idea to leave the neutral and earth still connected behind the wall?.

Thanks

Try looking for a 6 x 6 junction box in loft even if converted it should be accessible with a floorboard marked for you
At least I would like to think so
If it was a diy job neutral could be from nearest socket in same wall

The joint box in an attic would be near where the hatch was, not directly above the ceiling light. Hopefully you can find it without too much upheaval.

With any luck the cables are marked

We’ve just bought the place and we’ve got no idea where the old loft hatch was as there’s been a second staircase added. there’s no access without ripping up the laminate flooring either.
Can’t really see any other way to isolate the neutral and earth tho.

Thank you

leaving the N and E connected will not cause a safety issue, but might give rise to nuisance tripping of RCD.

Reply to Help / advice isolating wall light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net