Discuss Help and advice please with LED lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm back with another question for your consideration. Quick recap, we are refurbishing a building for the Men's Shed charity. It's a single storey with huge attic. I have run the cabling for the water heaters (a ring, but temporarily spurred off a socket the electrician supplied to give us basic power, so I could test that the heaters work ok, and all is fine with that). That ring, and the cooker circuit (designed by Tel! Many thanks for that!) are run in clear air, clipped to the rafters, 100mm above finished insulation level.
The electrician is going to do all the final connections and check everything, but it is my task to install the rest of the cabling, so I now have to consider the lighting circuits. There will be 2, simply because we will have some light if one suffers a fault.
First of all, can anyone suggest suitable LED flat panels for an industrial type installation? I have worked out what our likely requirements are for the whole building, using standard LED 5w downlighters as a reference point, and we will need 40 of them.
However, all those holes in the ceiling (new plasterboard) make me wonder if there are good surface mounted chaps out there that are highly rated by you real electricians.
Secondly, I know that the LED downlighters don't have such awful heat emmission problems as the halogen ones, but there will be 300mm of insulation on top of the ceiling, and so I have to ask if shrouds are necessary for such recessed downlighters, and not for surface mounted panels.
As the total current draw is very low, I am not too concerned about the cabling as it will be in 1.5mm t&e which I would have thought would cope with the derating factors, but I must confess to being a bit hazy on this. I would normally have used 1mm, which would have been more than fine for the load (total run is 30m) but I assumed 1.5 would take up any slack?
I accept that there is always a risk that others in the future might install unsuitable lighting with higher loads etc but frankly I think this is very unlikely in this quasi-industrial setting where all the info will be logged and kept by the trustees, thus it is pretty doubtful that anyone would come
along and relace all the LEDs with halogens.
Sorry, I've gone on a bit...
Any suggestions/brickbats/recipies welcomed!

What sort of budget have you got?

If its recessed downlights, go for the non-replacable LED so no-one can come along later and stick in halogens.

I've been fitting a load of solo10's from CEF recently. 10w dimmable, fire rated and you can choose the colour temperature. Also come with 3 decorative bezel finishes.

The trouble with the Mens Shed's are that they're full of old men... and old men like to tinker with things. Keep the switches high up out of reach, or make them tamper proof.

Can I ask whats so special about the cooker circuit that you needed Tel to design it?

I do not like downlights so I would rule them out immediately if I have the choice.
Tel's idea of the 600x600 LED panels with surface mount kit is a good one, though you will find the cost spiralling up, though remember you would need far fewer fittings than with downlights.
Possibly just using integrated LED strip lights (not the fluorescent tube imitations nor actual LED strips) which now come fairly flat would be easiest, the mounting clips do not need to be bought separately.
There are also a few round surface mount LED panels that can be very bright.
Alternatively just use integrated LED round bulkheads, depending on the visual impression needed.

Thank you all for your replies!

Littlespark-the budget is limited, being a charity, but I guess maybe £500? The Solo 10's sound pretty versatile, and would be a good option. Yes, plenty of old men in the Shed! Lol! Trouble is, we have to keep the switches down low to be accessible to all users. I'm probably going to use Quinetic wireless switches to save time...with the added bonus that we can slide them off the wall and hide them! As for the cooker circuit, I posted a query on a separate thread, as I needed guidance on that as it is a big cooker and I got a very quick response from Tel...it's not so special, just that it was something I was unsure of, with the length of cable run and the roof insulation question, and Tel put me right!

Tel-I like the look of the LED panels, and can see these might be a better option for the main room, but I will have to run all options by the committee...everyone will have an opinion! Never fear, I will let you know what happens, and maybe post a few pics (if it all doesn't look too awful!)

Richard Burns-thanks for suggesting those other options, with which I am not familiar. I will google them all and let the committee decide...
As we all know, the best committee is a committee of one! However, the choice is not mine, whereas the labour of installing them is!

I have a week's holiday to consider things, so I will get on with research here in sunny Spain, with a cool beer or two too to help me!
(that was a different thread, wasn't it?)

Reply to Help and advice please with LED lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net