Discuss Help! Can you change a dimmer to a potentiometer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TheGoldenBear

hello. its my first time posting here. but is it possible to change a light dimmer to a potentiometer? i want to attach it to my small electric motor. i am only going to use a 1.5v battery. is it possible? i dont want to buy a new potentiometer because i thought a dimmer and it was the same. thank you in advanced.

Hi and welcome

Mains voltage light switch, potentiometer attached to an electric motor with a 1.5 V battery?????

The obvious question is why?

My answer, don't do it. Sounds like you are on a death wish!

The potentiometer controls the gate voltage to the Thyristor or more likely a triac.
The timing of the gate voltage controls the amount of ac waveform that flows through the input to output.
So when the potentiometer set at maximum output, the waveform is a full ac cycle and at minimum level the ac waveform is chopped down to a pulse. This changes the power output since only a part of the waveform gets through.

note: A Thyristor only allows the positive half cycle through the device and a Triac allows the full ac waveform through.

So don't use the potentiometer on its own otherwise it will have to carry the full current of the load and is likely to burn out. There are devices you could use but these will need to be rated for the load and are likely to generate heat, which is not what you want in the back of your switch plate.

Reply to Help! Can you change a dimmer to a potentiometer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I really need help with this puzzler. First - I am moderately 'skilled' in day-to-day basic wiring. My puzzle: I am trying to replace a...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. I have a inverter configuration problem I thought someone here might be able to help with. I'm not looking for a specific solution...
Replies
Views
Friend of mines dryer machine has stopped working, 2 days out of warranty. I am trying to help theme out as money is tight for them however, I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a project I have been working on, that has me out of my depth with regard to my knowledge, as I am a very basic electronic hobbies...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am changing the electric shower in a bathroom refurbishment (my own) and just wanted to ask about the mcb rating. The existing shower was...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock