• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss HELP! Down light installation?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some help if possible please, I am buying a new build property in the near future and the building company want payment per down light.

Instead of paying this I am looking to install the lights myself. There will be around 6-8 in the kitchen, 2 in the downstairs bathroom, 6 in the downstairs hallway, 4 in the main bathroom upstairs, 4 on the landing, and 4 in the en suite. This will total to 26-28 down lights over all so this could be a massive saving.

I have a NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Installation and Commissioning and I also have 17th Edition and I know that I need IP65 rated down lights in the wet areas as well as making sure all down lights are fire rated. I plan to wire each light in a radial circuit within each room and take the feed from the main ceiling light that is already there. I will use 1.5mm2 Twin and Earth for all lights.

Is there anything you advise that I need to also do? And in terms of a test certificate, will it be suitable to do the work myself and then get a registered electrician in to test and issue me with an Installation Certificate?

EDIT:

I have been reading various different answers on this website and I now have come to the conclusion that it would be easier to get the builder to install the down lights in the main bathroom and en-suite as these are 'special areas' and are notifiable to the building control. However, am I right in thinking if the ceiling height is more than 2.25m high, this is not notifiable?

In regards to the kitchen, downstairs bathroom (sink basin & toilet only), hallway and landing; as these are not 'special areas' can I install the down lights myself?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ollie

Hum ... You need your shiny me home with a completion certificate....

So you are planning to lift all the floors and / or cut loads of holes in the ceiling and all the resulting making good ....

Get it done by the builder is my advice

Thank you for the response.

I admit it will be easier to get the builder to do it but my logic is to save a fair amount money (around £35/£40 per down light) if possible.

I also won't have any carpets or flooring initially so there won't be any issues in lifting floor boards.

taking the feed from an existing central light position, using wagos in a wagobox , then daisy chaining the downlights is fine. forget 1.5mm use 1.0mm. do the usual tests and complete a MWC for each circuit. as long as you are competent to do the work, then no need to get anyone else involved.

is this a duplicate thread? i have just replied to this and it does not show on this thread!!!.

I also won't have any carpets or flooring initially so there won't be any issues in lifting floor boards.

Apart from it's likely to be big sheets of interlocked chipboard, lifting them is probably not an option. It's more likely you'll need to cut holes as @Murdoch said.

Personally I'd get it done by the builders... at least the ones on the ground floor. The ones on the first floor won't be too bad as you'll have access to the attic.

OP:- If the house isn’t finished, would the builder allow you access to run cables etc before ceiling done/ floorboards?
He can finish the house off with your cables lying dormant until completion, and signed off. then when you move in, you can cut your downlight holes and e voila, there’s your cables.

However, builder might just scupper your plans and “accidentally” cut an important cable considering he’s losing out on 40 quid a fitting.
So cynical of builders all of a sudden.

Hello,

I am looking for some help if possible please, I am buying a new build property in the near future and the building company want payment per down light.

Instead of paying this I am looking to install the lights myself. There will be around 6-8 in the kitchen, 2 in the downstairs bathroom, 6 in the downstairs hallway, 4 in the main bathroom upstairs, 4 on the landing, and 4 in the en suite. This will total to 26-28 down lights over all so this could be a massive saving.

I have a NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Installation and Commissioning and I also have 17th Edition and I know that I need IP65 rated down lights in the wet areas as well as making sure all down lights are fire rated. I plan to wire each light in a radial circuit within each room and take the feed from the main ceiling light that is already there. I will use 1.5mm2 Twin and Earth for all lights.

Is there anything you advise that I need to also do? And in terms of a test certificate, will it be suitable to do the work myself and then get a registered electrician in to test and issue me with an Installation Certificate?

EDIT:

I have been reading various different answers on this website and I now have come to the conclusion that it would be easier to get the builder to install the down lights in the main bathroom and en-suite as these are 'special areas' and are notifiable to the building control. However, am I right in thinking if the ceiling height is more than 2.25m high, this is not notifiable?

In regards to the kitchen, downstairs bathroom (sink basin & toilet only), hallway and landing; as these are not 'special areas' can I install the down lights myself?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ollie
Over 2.25 is still in the bathroom but not in the zone

OP I moved into a new build and PAID for extra sockets, outside lights. Mine wanted to charge £50 for each down light, which I baulked at. But now I wished I had, as I've paid a shed load for some Philips Hue lights on a track, which friggin Alexa won't turn on, will you, you bitch! :mad:

The money you may save, ain't worth it, in the big scheme of things, and unless its a small builder, they ain't gonna let you or your sparks anywhere near your plot, H&S and all that.

Where abouts in Bristol are you @Oliver9 as apart from myself there are several other decent forum members in the Bristol/Bath area and would no doubt be willing to help if you come unstuck but you may find its easier to get the builder to do it,
We have mentioned on here before the perils of buying a new build property! have seen pendants literally fixed to ceiling with glue before, so dont hold out too much hope on cables being where you think they will be or having extra to reterminate easily.
Assuming you have loft access in the new build then running the upstairs lights should be quite straightforward,
Downstairs before any carpets go down get yourself one of these saws... set to the right depth you can easily cut out the floorboards if they are the tongue and groove click ones. go along the joists so it sits back on top. if you need to cut out other holes in random places get yourself one of these and the caps, price varies so shop around.

Reply to HELP! Down light installation?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back