Discuss [HELP] Electric Shock from Shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't see why it's taking so long to find a screw in a cable in the bathroom wall.

There's no cables anywhere near the shower though, only power in the room is the shaving point and the spot lights, which all have been checked

you can see directly down the void where the pipes go from the loft to reach the shower (video on the first page). There's no cables anywhere near these.

There's no cables anywhere near the shower though, only power in the room is the shaving point and the spot lights, which all have been checked

you can see directly down the void where the pipes go from the loft to reach the shower (video on the first page). There's no cables anywhere near these.

what work was done in the bathroom? Any changes to the floor? There are almost certainly cables in the floor/ceiling void below

The example I gave in #31, the damaged cable was a light switch on the landing, couple of meters from the bathroom.

do you have a PV supply at all? could be the sparks disconnected the shower supply pushed it in the wall and not taped the end. Then like a lazy house basher just disconnected the line conductor in the fuseboard. I had a similar incident the other day....

Why can't you ask the electrician to spend a full day trying to repair it. Am struggling to understand your thought process here

He has done, he has already been here a total of 9 hours trying to identify whats causing it. i am missing 4 plug sockets in the house now and one light. He is going round each one disabling it then rechecking the shower.

do you have a PV supply at all? could be the sparks disconnected the shower supply pushed it in the wall and not taped the end. Then like a lazy house basher just disconnected the line conductor in the fuseboard. I had a similar incident the other day....

Whats a PV? Well the electric shower was fed by one cable, which has now been completely removed

He has done, he has already been here a total of 9 hours trying to identify whats causing it. i am missing 4 plug sockets in the house now and one light. He is going round each one disabling it then rechecking the shower.

Whats a PV? Well the electric shower was fed by one cable, which has now been completely removed

PhotoVoltaic.........Solar Panels

if have you now have a mixer, the plumber would have taken a hot feed of somewhere, since the problem has only occurred since new shower install. Could the plumber of somehow hit a live cable with the new hot feed therefore adding this new potential to the shower room? or maybe he hit a cable with the cold feed whilst retro fit took place....... It would only occur on the section of new pipe i know

I thought I responded to this thread, obviously not haha
it turned out to be the entire wall had become charged, he couldn't find what was causing it but in the end just earthed the wall at various points and its 'fixed'

The electrician thinks it could have always been a problem, but because there was only plastic fixed to the wall prior to moving to a proper shower it wasn't noticed

ive been in the loft to have a look and can't see any extra earthing wires so not sure how he has accomplished this, regardless, 1month in and no shocks so I'm happy

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I responded to this thread, obviously not haha
it turned out to be the entire wall had become charged, he couldn't find what was causing it but in the end just earthed the wall at various points and its 'fixed'

The electrician thinks it could have always been a problem, but because there was only plastic fixed to the wall prior to moving to a proper shower it wasn't noticed

ive been in the loft to have a look and can't see any extra earthing wires so not sure how he has accomplished this, regardless, 1month in and no shocks so I'm happy

Hum.... how do you earth a wall? Sounds like BS to me.

He said the wall has studs around the Panels which had become charged. It's a really small space to get behind as it the next wall is the outside of the house.

Agreed, it's not really a fix as the problem is still there but at least now it's contained.
he tested each circuit, every bulb every thing that required powered and it didn't fully isolate the shower

Last edited by a moderator:
a bit like sticking a band-aid on a torn artery. the fault needs to be traced.

Hum.... how do you earth a wall? Sounds like BS to me.

You stick cooking foil all over it with Gaffer Tape - the Roadies best friend - used by generations of Roadies world-wide for fixing anything from ripped Levis, broken microphone stands and anything else inbetween to leaking Scania truck radiator hoses and shedded fan belts. It's also useful for sticking elderly grandmothers to kitchen ceilings (allegedly) :laugh:

Reply to [HELP] Electric Shock from Shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net