Discuss Help for Writing my 1st CV in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I’m after a little advise / help. I looking to create my first CV and wondering if there are any templates to view to get some ideas on the correct style I need.
Although I’m nearly 40 and been working since I was 16 I’ve never had an interview and only had 2 jobs. So this will be a major learning curve for me.
No specific job in mind just wanting a CV the put out there.
Any help / advise would be gratefully received.

Most applications ask for a CV, with a covering letter. So they don't have to read through realms of text of the CV, saying what a brilliant bloke I am. That way, it saves them time when paper sifting the applications for a job.

Bear in mind that employers may read dozens of CVs in an hour. Keep it short, clear and to the point.

Bullet points for qualifications and key points of your career.

No longer than two pages if you can help it.

Don’t use fancy text. Arial 12 point is easy to read quickly.

try and make your c.v reader specific, research the companies that you are sending them to, most companies have a “mission statement” use words from that see what testimonials they have and pick key words.
It may seem long winded but try this for each c.v you send as every companies has different expectations.
Hope the hunt goes well

Dear .......,

Furthering your recent advertisement of the job role of........ , I would like to be considered for the vacancy and enclose my CV for your review.

As this new position of .......requires a broad knowledge of electrical systems, I feel that i have a wide breadth of electrical experience that gives potential employers the flexibility to place me in a broad range of demanding situations, with the confidence that I will undertake my duties professionalIy and effectively. I'm confident that I could make a substantial contribution to the company. I work well under pressure, I am reliable and carry out tasks in a thorough, precise manner. Some of the key strengths I can offer include

.Excellent communication and customer skills.

.Identifying and implementing strategies to meet objectives .

.A good understanding of the regulatory BS 7671.

.Drive and determination to exceed goals and targets.

I exhibit a powerful combination of proven ability, Expertise, Solid communication skills and extensive hands on experience. I would like to express that I am greatly impressed by the companies reputation not only amongst competitors but with its customers as well.

I look forward to the opportunity to an interview to learn more about the job role, future plans and goals and how I might contribute to the companies growing success.

Yours sincerely ......

Covering letter I received and thought was good.

A couple of minor points

Remember the CV is to get you an interview, and some of the wealthiest and hardworking people in the land have never had a CV. Do not try to answer every question that may come up.

Make sure the reader can reach you easily, so mobile and email given some space. Address can be at the end.

Good luck

try and make your c.v reader specific, research the companies that you are sending them to, most companies have a “mission statement” use words from that see what testimonials they have and pick key words.
It may seem long winded but try this for each c.v you send as every companies has different expectations.
Hope the hunt goes well

With some of the larger companies, the above is very important. What happens is that the applicants CV's are scanned and then a program "reads" them looking for the various buzz words as mentioned above.

Fail to get the correct number of buzz words in and your CV will be rejected with out a human even reading it...

Reply to Help for Writing my 1st CV in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net