Discuss Help: I am 15th edition IEE Regs what are my restrictions in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bezzy

Hi,, I qualified to 15th edition IEE regs some 28 yrs ago. I then left the trade. I kept my hand in by doing foreigners and of course all electrical work on my own properties. I would class myself as competent and safe. I was wondering what restrictions there are on any work I can do, for example a friend of mine has asked me to install a ring main and lighting circuit in a new extension. Am I allowed to do this.

Thanks, Steve

Guess the question must be.....have you read and understood the 17th Edition Amd 3 and will your work comply with these regs? If so, crack on in my humble opinion!

Since the 15th the reg's are almost unrecognisable, you say you do the odd govy job but are you saying this is up to modern regulations or what you learnt back then. If you have no knowledge of the 17th then you are probably breaching many regulations, competence over the actual practical understanding of getting the wires from A to B hasn't changed but the regulations covering it has.
You could do your work and get someone to sign it off but many out there won't do this for you, and if your trained to the 15th then your work probably won't comply unless you have kept up.

Last edited:
You can't be installing to the current version of BS7671 if your knowledge of the document is 2 editions out of date.
IMO you're looking at the full 17th edition exam, and most likely joining a competent persons' scheme to be able to self-certify your work.

The new circuit would mean cert, so ££ to a niceic/Napit or government planning
Also would have to be insurance, unless you do the government or 3rd party way of testing for thr cert

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sparksburnout
This is a wind up right?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bezzy
To be honest,no. I havent read anything to do with 17th edition. Should I ?

Thanks for you reply
Steve

I'm guessing that statement prompted the question about it being a wind-up. It would be pretty obvious even to a non-sparky that you should be working to the latest regs.

It was that last statement that I almost spat out my coffee!​

Your probably right. Ill get the book. Im sure it will all come back to me. I think long term If I want to get back into the game Ill have to sit the exam and take a testing course.
Thanks

Hi Bezzy,
I think people are trying to say "Get an electrician in to do the job"
Please read Murdoch's post #3 and reply.

Reply to Help: I am 15th edition IEE Regs what are my restrictions in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net