Discuss Help installing exterior wall mounted up lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A2HGO

-
Reaction score
We're looking to have some uplights installed across the side of our property, I've purchased a few of these:

Garden Trading LABV01 Bovingdon Single Adjustable Outdoor Wall Light - https://www.dusklights.co.uk//garden-trading-bovingdon-single-adjustable-ip44-outdoor-wall-light-p7135/s7145

Help installing exterior wall mounted up lighting {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

We have this channel drain which runs the full length of the property which is filled with rocks, looking to run wire and install low down on the wall here:

Help installing exterior wall mounted up lighting {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

However electriciton is saying he can't install them directly on the wall because there's no hole in fitting for the wire to enter. I guess they require the wire to enter from the back directly through the wall itself.

He suggested mounting them on top of the junction boxes but then they'd be another 50mm or so away from the wall.

Does each light need its own junction box?

Could I drill a hole in them and insert a rubber grommet for the wire to enter?

Lots of light fittings do not have the space to loop in and out (2 cables) so with seeing the product first hand its tricky to offer any advice....

apart from consult another spark ....

1. your pics. don't show.
2.one way to get cable entry is to chase a bit of the mortar just below and behind the fitting, then use the rear entry provided.

Not sure i like the idea of laying the cable in the drain.... But anyway... Hes lilely going to use armoured cable if it is laying in there, and you sure as heck arent going to get 2 of those in each light, or even one for that matter, looping through some galv conduit boxes then mounting these on the front would possibly look okay, either that or purchase some suitable lights

Not sure why my images aren't displaying I'm using the image button provided on the post generator, hopefully the links work instead.

I didn't mean the wire would be run in the drain, but along the wall just above the cement. Once the decroative stone is back in it will be mostly concealed.

Yes he said it would be armoured cable, and this would need to be "farthered", I assume that mean ran inside some form of conduit.

If he's using a junction box per light, would this mean only one wire would be required to enter the light fitting itself?

In which case, it could be mounted over a mortor joint which could be chased out to allow the single wire to enter (think that was suggested above). Presumably there wouldn't be enough room for both the wire and the conduit so the conduit would have end where it meets the fitting itself.

Alternatively, I can return the lights however it took me a long time to find some up lights which can be mounted to the wall.

Pointless exercise they will have little affect aside from lighting small parts of the wall.

To be fair it is purely decorative but will also help light the way to our front foor (can't really have flood light due to opposite property).

galv conduit boxes. SWA in from bottom. wagos inside, flex into rear entry of fitting. where 2 x SWA are looped, use trouser boxes and blank off top entry hole.

Thanks telectrix, making it sound simple (which I thought it was initially). Sounds like chasing a small section of mortor to allow the cable to enter is the way to go.

Hi - I don't know these exact lights, but they look like they have a flex entry at rear of the pivoting head. That flex will need to be terminated somewhere in a junction box as has been mentioned.

Help installing exterior wall mounted up lighting IMG_1182 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Help installing exterior wall mounted up lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock