Discuss HELP...Kitchen wiring inadequacies??. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ceekay

-
Reaction score
Sorry guys I'm sure these points have been raised before but been busy searching.

I have been sent a diagram by the shop where we purchased our kitchen for the electrical wiring requirements and positions. I am a electrician to the 17th edition by trade but it's not my every day job nowadays so I'm questioning myself and require some confirmation.

One of the items is a 7KW induction hob for the island and the drawing states a 2.5mm cable to the cuboard under the hob??. This is scary to me as I work this out at around 28A which I believe is around the max the cable could carry even without any factoring taken into consideration? There is some led lighting also on the island which I take they will supply from this cable but obviously that will be minimal (I take it this would need to be fused down?) but more importantly a 13A pop up socket has also been added to the island and therefore had just put this part of the installation well beyond what they have originally stated.

The second major point is the ovens and two of them. One is a standard fan oven rated at 3.45Kw and the other is a smaller microwave combination oven rated at 3.6KW so if im correct both together are roughly 7KW and therefore roughly 28A? On the drawing they are showing 1 standard 13A double socket outlet! Surely just one of these item exceeds the maximum as even a double outlet its max load is still 13A or 3KW there abouts no matter how many outlets you have as far as I'm aware they are still only rated 13A. So my point is that one oven is slightly over but the two ovens are definitely a no no even if they were to have plug tops on which as suggested by the shop may be the case? Not sure how an oven rated at 3.6KW can possibly have a plug on?

Thirdly the drawing states a 2.5mm cable to be left in cupboard below sink for both a 2.5Kw dishwasher and also a instant hot water tap which states it needs a 10A supply but is rated at 1.5Kw? These two items should be fine if they are using say a 20A putlet plate but I have been told to leave a cable as on the island so not sure?

Normally I would place a double pole switch for the dishwasher above the worktop and not sure where the local cooker point isolators will be for the ovens and hob? Is it ok to place these within a cupboard especially the under sink position? I also take it they will tap off at various points for the led lighting but as far as I'm aware this would need to be a fused spur downrated to 3A?

Anyway I have added the so called plans below and would really appreciate your help as I think it must be me going insane?

Many thanks, Keith
HELP...Kitchen wiring inadequacies??. ima - EletriciansForums.net HELP...Kitchen wiring inadequacies??. ima - EletriciansForums.net HELP...Kitchen wiring inadequacies??. ima - EletriciansForums.net

with cooking appliances, the diversity factor is what come into play here . for an e.g. 7kW induction hob equates to 29A, but due to the cycling of thermostaically controlled elements, this would give you a design load of 10A + (30% of 19A), = 16A. still too much for a 13A socket on a RFC. i'd be inclined to run a 6mm T/E to each cooking appliance, fit each with a 45A isolator, then go from there when appliances are to be connected.

I wouldn't be taking a kitchen fitters advice for cable sizing. Who will be signing off the design section of the electrical installation certificate?

At my place I have silly mm2 in the kitchen so It doesn't ever disappoint, that would be toooo embarrassing. Much easier to go up a size now than later :) .

If your undertaking this job it will need to be signed off accordingly. Are you registered with one of the scheme prividers, if not how or who will be signing this off. Once this is clear members may be more forthcoming helping with some of the design issues.

I'd be checking with the manufacturer's connection data regarding all the appliances. They know what diversity, and how they have built that diversity into their appliances, and what size cable they require for safe operation. It is invariably always smaller cable than required for the stated FLC, but do check. I have connected full electric hobs with 1.5mm, 2.5mm, and 4.0mm cable. I have also connected appliances that have no built in diversity as confirmed through current measurement.

yeah but only got 2 hands.

You could have a look at the manufacturers manual to see what supply is required for each appliance. Most have to say, state 'consult a qualified electrician', but sometimes they give a clue to what their appliances consume, and supply required. My range cooker runs off a flex I'd be concerned about supplying a table lamp. Does take a long time to cook the Sunday Roast though? ;)

You could have a look at the manufacturers manual to see what supply is required for each appliance. Most have to say, state 'consult a qualified electrician', but sometimes they give a clue to what their appliances consume, and supply required. My range cooker runs off a flex I'd be concerned about supplying a table lamp. Does take a long time to cook the Sunday Roast though? ;)
Is it a coiled flex that will stop the current.

Many thanks for the reply's to date.
Up until a couple of years ago one of the companies I work for were NICEIC registered and obviously part P was automatic when a fully registered member but we let this go when we wound that side of the company down. I will be going through local building control to hopefully get this passed or one of my neighbours is an electrician and managers an electrical contractors so either way it will be completed through the appropriate channels and signed off accordingly as building control are on site anyhow for the extension itself that is hosing the said kitchen.

So are we saying that if the manufacturer has plug tops on both these ovens you would plug them into 1 13A double socket outlet supplied by a RFC ? I know you can apply 30% diversity to every amp over 10a but I'm dubious about this as I appreciate the ovens reach temp and then click on and off on the stat but if you have a large Sunday roast on fir many people and both ovens are trying achieve 200 degrees at the same time I'm betting you could start cooking your dinner on the double socket plate it would get that warm.

Anyone any thoughts on the 7Kw hob and a 13A pop up socket being on a 2.5mm cable? Surely not viable?

Also any thoughts on the isolators and sockets being inside the cupboards?

Thoughts also please to running cupboard led lighting and drivers, as my thoughts are that if this is to be powered off any of the kitchen appliances the it needs to be through a fused spur? I may even run a separate lighting feed completely for the under cupboard lighting so it doesn't get too messy?

Any further thoughts very much appreciated.

Cheers Keith

any appliance over 2.2kW should be on it's own dedicated circuit, irrespective of the cable size, which should be calculated for each appliance , taking account of diversity, loop impedance, and volt drop. better to have an oversized cable than a melted undersized one.

OP you've been given some good advice from members here. As it is your kitchen, I would follow the advice given and design & install suitable sized cables for each appliance, or combination of appliances.

Do bear in mind how these appliances work, cycling effect etc as already mentioned. My rather pathetic range cooker has a total power load of 3100w. However, the selector control switch only allows a maximum selection of two of the three elements at anyone time. Your oven/microwave will function in a similar way, but as telectrix advised, will still need a dedicated circuit. As Wilko advised, you may also need to consider 'future proofing' for supplies, should you replace appliances, i.e. don't install to the bear minimum, as being perhaps suggest by the kitchen company?

I did a kitchen refurb' recently, where a customer had purchased an all electric Aga range cooker. The Aga had been connected to an existing 32amp supply by Aga engineers. It had been happily used for a few months, until they decided to alter the kitchen, to accommodate their new cooker! When I checked it's spec', it had a total power rating of 16kw. A call to Aga, and they recommended a 45amp supply for their cooker. This would have exceeded the maximum load for the (local) CU supply, so I installed a larger supply cable, but kept the fusing to 32amp. Touch wood, they have been no issues.

Thanks again chaps much appreciated but I think you will find that the whole purpose of this post was because I disagreed with the drawings that were sent to me and wanted to confirm this so I could wire this as per most of the advice so the general confirmation is what I was after although if I place 2 45A isolators in for the ovens and the fitter turns up with plug tops on them it may void the warranty to cut them off?

Also not had any reply's really about any of the other problems mentioned as it seems to be all concentrated around the ovens? Any advice re the hob/socket on the island or the other points?

Many thanks

what you could do is fit a 45A isolator for each cooking appliance and wire from that to a sinle 35mm back box. wago the cable ends, then fit either a cooker outlet or a single socket, as the case may be when the appliances arrive.

Thanks again chaps much appreciated but I think you will find that the whole purpose of this post was because I disagreed with the drawings that were sent to me and wanted to confirm this so I could wire this as per most of the advice so the general confirmation is what I was after although if I place 2 45A isolators in for the ovens and the fitter turns up with plug tops on them it may void the warranty to cut them off?

Also not had any reply's really about any of the other problems mentioned as it seems to be all concentrated around the ovens? Any advice re the hob/socket on the island or the other points?

Many thanks
I did a rather comprehensive (if I say so myself :)) poll of manufactures about cutting off their moulded plugs. There was only one (unfortunately can't remember who!) of several manufactures who said cutting off the plug would void the warranty. It's generally the 'fitters' aren't electricians, so are not 'qualified' to connect cables to FCU etc, only plug a cable into a socket (if that is what is supplied).

As per the induction hob, you've been shown the diversity calculus and made your own design calculations and don't appear to be happy with the suggested cable size, then your should decide the cable size, not the kitchen company?

PS, don't have a pop up socket, there're pants!

+ 1 for pop-up sockets being crap.

Thanks again.

Good idea with the 45A connection points then a back box for either connecting a socket face or an fcu but another slight problem is that there is nowhere to put any switched items as the cupboards are boxed in floor to ceiling so only option would be to place inside the top cupboard above the ovens or quite a distance away else where in the kitchen. What do you think?

Just wanted assuring about the induction hob really as they have stated a 2.5mm cable but at 7Kw then adding a treble socket outlet (pop up socket) if this was used at 3Kw that's 10Kw minus any diversity so in excess of 40A as you said I suppose I've answered my own question. Oh the pop up is a good quality one at £165 trade but only using this as the island unit has nowhere to put any other socket outlets unless it's in a cupboard again as its Quartz stone straight on top of units unless anyone has alternative suggestions I'm screwed really.?

Many thanks

Hi - re the pop-up, can you not use the ends of the island bench to mount sockets (just below the bench top) instead? At my place a pop-up would need to be IPmillion to cope with life. But I am clumsy. Cheers.

Reply to HELP...Kitchen wiring inadequacies??. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock