Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Help !!! Main switch tripping in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sparky1966

sparky1966 Guest

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if I am being stupid with this ( its late and i'm very tired)

Still learning and have had a call from a customer that their main switch (not mcbs) keeps tripping everytime they plug in a hoover, heavy duty drill, microwave, kettle into the socket circuit (all the house sockets are on the same ring circuit - 32a type b 2.5mm cable). The socket circuit works with all other items plugged in ( tv, fridge etc)

It also trips when they turn on the shower which is on its own circuit (45a type b) 10mm cable.

I am presuming this is an overload problem?? without seeing it yet thats all the info i have.

Can anyone help me with this? Has anyone come across this before? Could it be something else?

I hope you can help

2. Sintra

Sintra The Innkeeper Staff Member

I would say that the main switch that they are reffering to is an RCD protecting multiple circuits. If so then i could be a number of things. The RCD would need to be tested first off to make sure it is working correctly.

3. sparky1966

sparky1966 Guest

Thank you, if the RCD is working correctly what would you then suggest?

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    a thorough test for leakage either on appliances or on the circuits. always difficult when you have an RCD/main switch for the whole installation. process of elimination . could be a combination of leakages taking the RCD above it's tripping threshold.

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

My money is on the fact its a RCD and there's a N-E fault!

6. hasel5

hasel5 Electrician's Arms

Yep agree with Murdoch would put a couple of hundred on that

7. B16 Tom

B16 Tom Guest

Any news yet????

8. ezzzekiel

ezzzekiel Guest

rioting in london, the ftse100 is down, boming in libya