Discuss help me out guys! theroy working out VA in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

michaelw6

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi,
ive got an 240>8v transformer for a bell now its 8va and i was told by friedland that this was 8 amps. i know that aint right.
so does anyone know what it is?
i need a transformer at 8v over 2A cause i have a 2A one and it still does not run the three bells i have on it very well.
the other problem is it already has a hole in the consumer unit taking up two ways so idealy i need one to go back in there!
Any one else had a problem like this? how did you over come? any sergestions?
Please help.
mike:confused:

What rating are the bells?
If ur existing transformer is 8VA this is 1 amp at 8 volts.

pass on the bells just normal door bell like the old fashoned one that took two big batterys but its just the bell its self. brought them from electric center woolsley.

ok 1 amp wont be enough ive tried a two amp and that still aint enough. can i up the voltage it might be voltage drop over 10M but this might knacker up the other two bells that are about 2M away?

hi,
ive got an 240>8v transformer for a bell now its 8va and i was told by friedland that this was 8 amps. i know that aint right.
so does anyone know what it is?
i need a transformer at 8v over 2A cause i have a 2A one and it still does not run the three bells i have on it very well.
the other problem is it already has a hole in the consumer unit taking up two ways so idealy i need one to go back in there!
Any one else had a problem like this? how did you over come? any sergestions?
Please help.
mike:confused:
hi mike,basic rule of thumb regards va.convert it into watts(true power)then divide watts by the voltage to get amps.ie:use the 3,4,5 triangle.example 10va divide by 5=2 multiply by 4 = 8watts then divide by 8volts = 1amp.hope im not teaching you to suck eggs.newcomer. barry

ps:read up on power factor correction ding dong

pass on the bells just normal door bell like the old fashoned one that took two big batterys but its just the bell its self. brought them from electric center woolsley.

ok 1 amp wont be enough ive tried a two amp and that still aint enough. can i up the voltage it might be voltage drop over 10M but this might knacker up the other two bells that are about 2M away?

it was just an example.can you increasecable size. in mean time il do volt drop calc over 10m.also the other two over 2m can have series resistor to obtain correct v

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suck eggs...lol
cant increase cable size now all the floors down and new carpets in :-( think its gonna just have to be a ding on the last bell...

to many bell pushes its a 5 bed house with rented rooms. just wanted a bell to be hurd every where over the house. so i put one up one down and one out the back. but the one out the back just dings... no dong.

to many bell pushes its a 5 bed house with rented rooms. just wanted a bell to be hurd every where over the house. so i put one up one down and one out the back. but the one out the back just dings... no dong.
Just put Big Ben near the front door then mate:rolleyes:

Seems a silly question. But have you checked that the back bell has it's donger correctly fitted. Cause if it dings then it theory it should dong, as the dong is done by springing back from dinging.

Reply to help me out guys! theroy working out VA in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net