Discuss Help - melted plug - why? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah. Think that's always going to be an issue (customer's houses). I did consider fitting a split charge system (similar to the one on my camper) which powered a 12V heater for when I'm between jobs.

Although if everything's 13A and is only connected for a short time is it 'really' an issue? Isn't the worst that can happen it trips their CU?

With a decent 13A plug it would probably be okay for short periods so you could make a 13A to 16A lead.

I imagine you would need a circuit from your CU to a 16 Amp socket, your heater would require a 16 Amp plug top to enable you to plug it into the 16Amp socket wired from your CU how you would manage at the customer premises is a different problem.
easy. a short ext.lead 1363 plug on 1 end and a 16A commando socket on the other.

Yeah. Think that's always going to be an issue (customer's houses). I did consider fitting a split charge system (similar to the one on my camper) which powered a 12V heater for when I'm between jobs.

Although if everything's 13A and is only connected for a short time is it 'really' an issue? Isn't the worst that can happen it trips their CU?
It won't necessarily trip the entire CU just the circuit you have plugged into, which won't do much for customer relations, especially if they are on line etc.

probably only on face-ache anyway so dropping them out would do everybody a favour. :eek:

...But on occasion I do plug it in at customer's houses via my extension lead ..........

- except for the element blowing every three months or so
The peak wattage could down a bit on the extension lead round the customers .
Spares wise are lower wattages , as common as what Dan uses ?

I don't think all of this plugging in abounded thing is quite right, but I'm to tired to put forward an argument. I'll argue tomorrow o_O

For what it's worth I'm 100% receptive to doing the 'right thing'. Just not entirely sure what the right thing is!

It's my business and it needs to work safely and efficiently every time. So will welcome workable solutions.

At present I feel like I could call out three electricians and all would give me a different answer!

Don't worry , most industrial conectors are round for reliability .
The guy doing the job , will know his way safely , and his materials . (You are right identical solutons are rare)
13A plugs are done for their price , hence struggling with kettles and wall heaters get hardwired !

OP I'm sure you comply with all the legislation regarding the transporting and use of chemicals in the course of your business.

I'm sure your training would have covered H&S, PPE and more importantly equipment. If you don't mind me saying, it doesn't appear you have your equipment quite right. The melting plug to one side, I'm not sure about the use of equipment fashioned by yourself, and the plugging in this equipment at your customers property.

I think you now have suitable advice from members on the way forward for your install to provide a supply for your equipment; do you think you should go elsewhere to seek guidance about how this equipment is installed & used in your vehicle?

OP I'm sure you comply with all the legislation regarding the transporting and use of chemicals in the course of your business.

I'm sure your training would have covered H&S, PPE and more importantly equipment. If you don't mind me saying, it doesn't appear you have your equipment quite right. The melting plug to one side, I'm not sure about the use of equipment fashioned by yourself, and the plugging in this equipment at your customers property.

I think you now have suitable advice from members on the way forward for your install to provide a supply for your equipment; do you think you should go elsewhere to seek guidance about how this equipment is installed & used in your vehicle?

I'm correctly insured and the chemical is transported and used correctly. The only issue here is the safe connection of the heating element to 240v.

The way I conduct my business isn't really the issue here.

The best solution appears to be 16A all round.

I will consult an electrician, and I thank you for your time and answers on here.

@OP. if this appliance is in your van, does that mean that you plug it in at customers' premises. i.e. on site, as opposed to at home? if so, you would risk overloading their circuit/s. only solution would be to replace the heater with a lower power unit.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Tel.

OP you say you sometimes plug in at customers properties, meaning you could potentially cause the same damage to their sockets too. A new plugtop for your extension, outside socket on your house and 2kW immersion would be my solution.

Reply to Help - melted plug - why? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net