Discuss Help need to change ceiling light in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

your mate is wrong.you need a 4 way connector block instead of a 3 way. the 3 reds go together in 1 way with nothing else from the light in there. then the switch L (black) connects to the brown of the light. the 2 blacks (neutrals) connect to the blue of the light, and you use the 4th way for the earth.

Yes don't forget the earth even though I cannot see an earth wire at the new fitting.

Thanks for your advice westward10. It works, but you had no doubt that it would, what with knowing what you're doing.
I'm just going to have to phase it to my friend that he doesn't know as much as he thinks.
I've just kept the earth attached to the original fixing.
Thanks once again.

I replied before the photo uploaded

Help need to change ceiling light 20171107_103030 - EletriciansForums.net

Help need to change ceiling light 20171107_103030 - EletriciansForums.net

Did that fitting come with an earth wire and if so what has happened to it because it definitely needs a connection to earth.

the earth tag is clearly shown on that last photo. it's that ring with a tag, under the shakeproof washers.

this is a loop in system, where the feed is inside the light fitting instead of at the switch, usually to make running cables through conduit easier due to less/smaller cables being able to be used.

usually you wont have a neutral at the switch, rarely will you have a seperate earth, 9.9/10 its going to be just a common and switch wire at the switch.

I'm still here. It works. I understand and thought that the earth would need to be conected to the metal light but it wasn't conected to the single light, it was as it is in the first picture. When the sparkie comes and does my down lighters I'll get him to do it. I only asked which wire went into which hole because the new light came with just a strip of three conections E L N but the old had four different conections .

I'm still here. It works. I understand and thought that the earth would need to be conected to the metal light but it wasn't conected to the single light, it was as it is in the first picture. When the sparkie comes and does my down lighters I'll get him to do it. I only asked which wire went into which hole because the new light came with just a strip of three conections E L N but the old had four different conections .
see posts #22 and #31. all is revealed.

As for the £40 to do it, I'd be happy to of payed that but two wanted £50 call out and £30 to fit it.
£50 call out ffs, it's not an emergency.

that's a rip-off, but it's what you get for living in the affluent south-east. up here a £40 call-out would also cover labour time up to an hour. then again, we don't have to pay congestion charges, parking fees etc. and our vans are usually found where we left them.

That’s the crux....it’s simple to get electrons flowing, the trick is getting them to do it safely and stop when it’s goes wrong.

It is no exaggeration to state the light, in its current state is dangerous and would only need a live (and on some conditions a neutral) to come lose and touch the metal of the new fitting to turn the whole fitting live.....with a functioning earth at this point it would go bang, but at least you would be safe. Currently your fitting will sit at mains voltage awaiting the unwary.

Please be careful.

Reply to Help need to change ceiling light in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock