Discuss Help Needed. 16 x 16 LED array. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimgranger62

Hello,

I'm new to DIY electronics and I would be EXTREMELY grateful if someone could help me by answering the following:

1. I would like to set up a 17 x 16 bulb LED array on a piece of Veroboard. The bulbs are 5mm. 204 red (655nm) and 68 Blue (485nm). This will eventually be a 14 Watt, 120 Volt system. The first question is - can somebody provide me with a simple circuit diagram to get this working, where the resistors go etc?

2. Could this be powered with a standard car battery and approximately how many hours would it last before the next battery recharge?

HUGE thanks!

Jim

Jim

would need more detail

an LED is a Light Emitting Diode. Most diodes run at around 5-7V

the resistors you require are current limiting resistors.

Cant see how how you come to 120V, presume this is comes from some sort of design you have been given?

if the diodes where in parallel (standard system) and 5V for example, then the entire system would run off 5V (actually higher than that but some voltage would be dropped accroos the resistors.

If they were in series, then 10 @ 5V would be 50V for example. This is generally not done because say the total current draw was 10A (for example) then all diodes in the chain would carry 10A (which they wont)

I suspect you some sort of series/parralel combination.

Would need the specification of each diode to work out volts, current draw and size of resistor needed.

Give some more info (like what its for, design spec etc) and i may be able to help!!

regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

I am a complete novice when it comes to circuits and wiring - I can build computers so would like to branch out a little. Below is a link to an existing LED array, but I would like to build my own from scratch to save money and understand how it works.

The purpose of this LED array is to germinate and grow Sequoia (Giant Redwood Trees) and Eucalyptus, Oaks etc. to sell. LED is something I've never tried (and apparently works) that I'm keen to experiment with.

This link shows an existing setup. It might answer some more questions for you. This one is a little small as I have seen some at 12" x 12". I can't even find stripboard that big?!?!

http://www.homegrownlights.com/14wled.html

I would literally require a blueprint but I can't find one anywhere!

Huge thanks Tony!

Jim

Reply to Help Needed. 16 x 16 LED array. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock