Discuss Help needed for a touch lamp in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Robbyg

-
Reaction score
Hey :)
I'm Rob and new to this forum. I have designed a wooden touch lamp using edison bulbs (incandescent) nothing new here I know. What I'm having trouble with is sorting out a problem where when the bulb fails the power surge takes out or blows the thyristor on the touch circuit.
Normally not a problem on cheaper lamps as they are throw away but the one i've designed is going to be a higher end product and I don't like the idea of lots of possible returns after a blown bulb scenario.
I've looked at a MOV in the circuit to take the surge but don't really know enough about them of whether this is the best and cheapest way of doing it, any help I would appreciate a lot.
thanks, Rob

The best way to reduce the chance of the thyristor blowing
is to use a larger thyristor, so use a 15A, instead of a 6A.
At the highest possible voltage, so use a 6 or 700 volt thyristor
rather than the bog standard 400v versions.

Thanks for the reply :) is there nothing that can be placed in the line between the touch lamp module and bulb to sort it? I’m trying not to have to alter the board from standard as they are ce approved and the added time also soldering a new thyristor in ect

Reply to Help needed for a touch lamp in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock