Discuss Help needed. Garage wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Look people. All ive done is changed the old box in the spare room to a new box. I havnt tried to do a whole house installation. Getting on there as if the world is gna end.

If someone sticks there fingers in the gaping gaps in the Consumer Unit, their world may very well come to an end:(

Oh would ya look at that

View attachment 40411

If this is the standard of work you are happy to show off then I dread to think what the rest of it looks like.

Just some brief points, as you wanted to learn the "art".
  1. There are gaps which allow access to live parts
  2. The ordering of protective devices is wrong, it should go from highest to lowest.
  3. Looking at this I can't tell if there is supposed to be a second main switch? If so its clearly missing.
This is just looking at it from the outside.

The ordering of protective devices is wrong, it should go from highest to lowest.
Some manufacturers would beg to differ, they recommend that the MCBs are arranged between heavy and light loads to reduce thermal and magnetic influence.

Some manufacturers would beg to differ, they recommend that the MCBs are arranged between heavy and light loads to reduce thermal and magnetic influence.

I have always been told highest to lowest, but that does make a bit of sense. Every day is a school day!

Please put a picture of the inside of the consumer unit ..... I have got the popcorn outta the Microwave for this one. :D

So here we have a rewire to a garage, by someone who apparently has no idea of what type of earthing system he has, or whether it it’s compliant or even adequate or what bonding is required, can’t or won’t check or calculate resistances or probably doesn’t know why he even should do, or what they would mean if he did measure them, who intends to use a 150A welder, (presumably 16A supply required and are surge currents an issue?), and to boot is (in my opinion and I chose this word carefully) ignorant. I read this thread with interest hoping to learn something. I’m not disappointed.
I think it best for all concerned if this thread is locked before any more damage is done, as it appears to have become a bait fest
None of my business really, but I do hate it when people are unnecessarily rude (This implies that there are situations where it necessary to be rude, perhsps when someone is just about to injure themselves or another because they’ve done something dangerous or stupid)
Am I being a pompous g*t?

So here we have a rewire to a garage, by someone who apparently has no idea of what type of earthing system he has, or whether it it’s compliant or even adequate or what bonding is required, can’t or won’t check or calculate resistances or probably doesn’t know why he even should do, or what they would mean if he did measure them, who intends to use a 150A welder, (presumably 16A supply required and are surge currents an issue?), and to boot is (in my opinion and I chose this word carefully) ignorant. I read this thread with interest hoping to learn something. I’m not disappointed.
I think it best for all concerned if this thread is locked before any more damage is done, as it appears to have become a bait fest
None of my business really, but I do hate it when people are unnecessarily rude (This implies that there are situations where it necessary to be rude, perhsps when someone is just about to injure themselves or another because they’ve done something dangerous or stupid)
Am I being a pompous g*t?

...and inspected and tested by a qualified electrician, whom was more than happy with the work i had done.

If this is true then everything is fine and dandy.... No need to worry about anything.....

Is the installation completed now?Are you signing the electrical certificate for design and construction?Do you have Part P building regulations in N.I.?
From your only photo, you need to fit fixed metal blanks and fit the appropriate labels to the Consumer unit to complete the job. Is the electrician pleased with the install so far?

Reply to Help needed. Garage wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock