Discuss Help needed - Kitchen fit (Electrician costs)??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be getting a kitchen fitted soon and need to find an electrician, about to get some quotes.

This is what is required:

-Move a couple of light switch down 10 cm.
-Move power socket behind unit for dish washer.
-Make new socket for extractor fan.
-Make new socket for washing machine in the utility.
-Replace all sockets and switch faces (I have bought already)
-Place 6 down lights in the celling.

What cost should I be looking at for this and how long should it take? I am based in the Midlands.

It's nearly impossible to quote properly without seeing the job. Too many variables.

You may get some random guesses though. :)

as a rough estimate, for that work i'd be looking at around £500.obviously, there are other factors like earthing,bonding,RCD protection, state of the Consumer Unit,etc., that may push the cost up. only a site visit can give you a n accurate estimate.

Hi,without a considerable amount of further detail,there is no way an accurate estimate of cost could be guessed at.

Has anyone with some electrical knowledge,viewed this project?

I would suggest,that this,is a good starting point.

You know what "you" require,now may be the time to find out what "is" required to actually install what "you" require

Installing one item can have vastly different levels of "is" requirements

Get some on the job quotes and make your judgement on that basis

True. For instance, these downlights. To access where the cables will go, the electrician will need to access the ceiling. What is the room above? Tiled bathroom? If it’s difficult that will add £££. Maybe the kitchen ceiling needs to come down to allow access. All sorts of issues that will affect the price.

More often than not, it's the electrician that will end up making multiple visits. What you require looks quite simple, but its not all as straightforward as just shifting a couple of switches down 10 cm etc etc.
What should be 2-3 of days work ie first fix and a return visit for 2nd fix, in my experience never happens on an occupied residential kitchen fit.

As most other people have said there is no way of knowing without seeing the job, and even then it isn't an exact science. The cost of the electrical installation could be substantial and if you are concerned about it then you really should have had some quotes before deciding to order a new kitchen. The best thing you can do is to get a few quotes from local electricians, make sure they are all quoting for the same work and take it from there.

Numbers of site visits is worth considering:

1 site visit before the job starts
1 site visit at the end of the first day "rip out" to see what is exposed
1 site visit to first fix
1 site visit to work on below worktop electrics
1 site visit to work on downlights
1 site visit to fit under cupboard and plinth lights ...

They all add up and cost time and money.

Furthermore, if any of the accessories that you supply fail within their warranty period, don't expect your electrician to replace them without making a charge. Best let your electrician supply and use the brand names they are confident with.

I’ve had one quote so far that came in at over £700, the electrician said I require less than £100 worth of product and the fuse board is fine. He said it would take 2 days.

I will get some more quotes, I don’t want to bash anyone’s profession and understand people need to make a living but this seems a bit high, it’s more than I’m paying the fitter for a whole weeks work.

In the past working in IT I would get paid say £110 per day but if I was seconded out to do a job for a client then the client would get billed £650 and this was over 10 years ago, to cover all the overheads.

£300 seems a lot but there are a lot of costs to cover and is it 2 full days work or 4 half days equating to 2 days?

Don't mention it to the kitchen fitter, taps nose.......

Reply to Help needed - Kitchen fit (Electrician costs)??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net