Discuss Help needed - Old style 5amp lighting circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tozzer

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I stumbled across this site whilst looking for help regarding old 5 amp lighting circuits and thought that this would be the perfect place to find the answers I've searched long and hard for...

We recently bought a property from 1929 and, having moved in, we've now discovered that neither the main bedroom nor the lounge have any wall or ceiling lights. Both rooms have light switches, which control 2 (bedroom) or 3 (lounge) old style round pin sockets which we can use to plug in lamps.

Having thought about it, I quite like this idea and would like to keep the lights in this way; however, I would like to understand the type of lamps that I can use.

Could anyone help with the following questions:

1. Most table lamps that we have appear to be fitted with a 3 amp fuse. Can we still use these lamps on the 5 amp circuit? If not, is there anything that I can do to get these to work safely?

2. Do I need to use a specific bulb type with the lamps to avoid blowing them?

3. Anything else you think I need to think about...!?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

I take it that this property doesn't still have the original wiring system, and has had a satisfactory electrical inspection report conducted prior to you purchasing the property?? That being the case there should be no problem changing the plug tops from the standard 13A to the 5A plug tops on table lamps and lamp stands etc.....

You are effectively plugging in lights to standard lighting circuit rather than having them hard wired.
Almost any domestic lamp you can buy in the UK would be OK to plug in to the circuit.
But you would need to change the plugs to the round pin style as Engineer54 says.
These plugs are reasonably readily available in most hardware stores, the plugs / sockets are usually the 5A type but might be the 2A ones (this is more popular now) so just check the size before you buy.

As eng54 says.
If you havnt had an eicr or electrical installation condition report done which will tell what work needs doing (if any) but I suspect if your house still has its original electrical features then its going to need a rewire but only and inspection can tell. And if you do need a rewire please don't have the walls freshly plastered and decorated/painted before you call a spark!
If the accessories ie switch plates and pendants are in good order and meet current standards there is no reason why they can't be reinstated if your after that look (from your op I assume you are).

old 5 amp lighting circuits

Worth noting that this is still a current method of installation. Just because they are 5A sockets does not make it old, they are simply chosen to prevent appliances being connected by mistake, and even 2A is ample for any lighting fixture.

Most table / standard lamps will be perfectly safe when connected to the 5A circuit - in any other country that doesn't use fused plugs they would be connected to a 10A or 16A socket outlet circuit.

Worth noting that this is still a current method of installation. Just because they are 5A sockets does not make it old, they are simply chosen to prevent appliances being connected by mistake, and even 2A is ample for any lighting fixture.

Most table / standard lamps will be perfectly safe when connected to the 5A circuit - in any other country that doesn't use fused plugs they would be connected to a 10A or 16A socket outlet circuit.
surely eveyone knows ohms law.

2amps is 460watts and is more than enough for any poxy lamp.

surely everyone down to the newest of trainees has heared of ohms law

surely everyone down to the newest of trainees has heard of ohms law
But the OP isn't a sparky. The fact that he asks about the suitability of ordinary lamps in his fixtures on the 5A socket-outlets suggests he isn't familiar with electrical theory. You may also spot that I was making an additional point, which is that 2A and 5A are especially suitable for movable lighting fixtures, as they are one of the classes of appliance that is guaranteed never to require a larger supply. I shall say n'Ohm ore.

Last edited:

Reply to Help needed - Old style 5amp lighting circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock