Discuss Help needed on electricity meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 114336

hi
My housemate uses too much electricity- constant heater etc- I want to separate our electricity readings.
What can I do pls?

P.S. I’ve looked at smart meters on individual sockets however he’s got lots of sockets in his room and would find a way around them.

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums.

You cannot and must not mess with the electricity meter installed in your property, I'll get the obvious out the way first.

With regards to metering your house mate... theoretically it is possible, but would likely require significant (read costly) changes to the electrical installation in the property.

When you say he has the heater on a lot... is there central heating in the property? If so, what type? May be some simple tweaks to that may alleviate the need for additional heating.

Also, if it's a rented property, then you need the permission of the owner to do any changes...

had similarprob with a tenant some time ago. he was paying me £10/ week for leccy, but had multiple portable heaters, ran up an annual bill on my account of £6000. when supplier cut off the leccy, he refused to pay rent. couple of good hard lads from the pool soon got him out.

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums.

You cannot and must not mess with the electricity meter installed in your property, I'll get the obvious out the way first.

With regards to metering your house mate... theoretically it is possible, but would likely require significant (read costly) changes to the electrical installation in the property.

When you say he has the heater on a lot... is there central heating in the property? If so, what type? May be some simple tweaks to that may alleviate the need for additional heating.

Hi SparkyChick

We have no central heating, only electric. His cost is about £5 a day, my share of his heating bill is £50 a month. I use about £9 a month.
I don’t get what you meant by messing with the meter.
Are you an electrician?

had similarprob with a tenant some time ago. he was paying me £10/ week for leccy, but had multiple portable heaters, ran up an annual bill on my account of £6000. when supplier cut off the leccy, he refused to pay rent. couple of good hard lads from the pool soon got him out.

I hope he paid his electricity

I hope he paid his electricity

Yea forcing this guy is easily done, however, I’d rather have him pay his own. His parents are losers etc bad life experience so he doesn’t know respect, stuck in the cycle of abuse.
I am kind however He would be made to pay his bill if he did something like what your tenant did to you.
He even leaves heaters on full power when he goes out for a few days.
Lucky for him I see the cycle of abuse in him, or he’d be given two months notice and be made to pay his bill.

I like you a little bit more now,

if Peter Rachman had lived a few years longer than he would have been my God Father, how cool would that have been.

To the OP - firstly all who have replied to you are well qualified people, the only way to meter this persons individual usage would be to have all of the sockets/lighting etc that he personally uses on their own circuits and thus through a dedicated meter.
But I reckon he should learn some respect for others and some decency, a background of neglect is one thing but do you think it's ok to let that cycle continue for ever more ?

I think you should stop asking everyone what credentials they have to validate their answers or nobody will give you their time

Yea I don’t want that. This thread is for electricity professionals, not bs.
I'm intrigued to know why you are asking the guys/gals if they are electricians /professionals.

I don’t want bs / trolling. This is supposed to be an electricity forum.

Hi SparkyChick

We have no central heating, only electric. His cost is about £5 a day, my share of his heating bill is £50 a month. I use about £9 a month.
I don’t get what you meant by messing with the meter.
Are you an electrician?

Interesting guesses or assumptions for usage stated here.

How did you work out your share should only be £9.00 per month?

How much is the bill per month and how do you heat your room?

Reply to Help needed on electricity meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net