Discuss Help needed re-wiring my garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gary Holmes

hi
The electrics in my garage are a complete mess. So I've taken everything out and started to renew everything . I have installed a garage consumer unit . I have managed to install the armoured cable .
I am now stuck at lights . I have taken a feed from the cu to a fluorescent light and a feed to another fluorescent light . And a feed from the first fluorescent light to a switch . I am unsure of the wiring from the first light to the switch . Do I just follow the live neutral earth feed all the way through ? Thanks

IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

you are using the "loop at the light" method.you need a 4 terminal connector instead of that 3 terminal. the Lin, Lout and L to switch will go in the 4th termial which has no connection to the fitting. no doubt, Richard Burns will supply a diagram for you when he's on line.

Welcome to the forum Gary, I have changed you assigned status to DIY, this will help our members tailor their advice to your level of experience.

done you a quick sketch. used red/black for clarity, and omitted the cpc's (earths) for same reason.

Attachments

• IMG_20161014_0001.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 64
Not wishing to be a kill joy, but notice the metal clad switch is missing a blind grommet or gland. Bit concerned about the level of experience you seem to have for the consumer unit and armoured cable you've installed?

Not wishing to be a kill joy, but notice the metal clad switch is missing a blind grommet or gland. Bit concerned about the level of experience you seem to have for the consumer unit and armoured cable you've installed?
Yes I've got that to put on. I'll also put up pics of the cu with gland fitted.

OP, you'll always get a bit of banter on a forum. this one is mild compared with some. just ignore it. and bear in mind that sparksburnout comes from notts., where they've only recently stopped wearing green and living in sherwood forest. :(

Yes I've got that to put on. I'll also put up pics of the cu with gland fitted.

This illustrates quite well the difference between a typical DIY job and one done by a professional. The electrician would have glands and grommets in stock and would have automatically put a grommet or gland in before wiring. Maybe even have brought the cable in through the side or bottom of the enclosure to avoid contravening the rule about IP4X sealing to the top surface of an electrical enclosure.

Most DIYers don't have the depth of knowledge to do the job in accordance with the regs, although a rare few will have a copy of the regs and have spent the time to research and understand them, especially if already in an engineering profession.

OP, think all some of us are saying is carrying out an electrical installation, requires knowledge, expertise and some necessary equipment. Some 'electricians' have posted on this forum and don't always get it right, I include myself here. For someone like yourself, who doesn't appear to have the necessary training and expertise, may be a danger to himself and family.
Installing the odd light is one thing, consumer unit, armoured cables is another. Just because it works, doesn't mean its safe.

Reply to Help needed re-wiring my garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net