• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Help needed testing for small industrial unit (electrical check) in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am thinking of going self employed in the next few months so I have been doing a bit of advertising before. I have been contacted to do some testing for someone who I know. The testing involves a industrial testing of a small unit, which has been asked for by the owner of the unit, the local council, i think. Now if I test this do I have to be registered with a governing body e.g niceic, elecsa as I am in the process of doing this soon as it is not domestic I dont have to issue a part p certificate is that right? So I can carry out the test and record the resuslts and just give him the test results and he can give that the owner of the unit?

Hopefully someone could clear this up thanks.

you're right. just complete a EICR and give 1 copy to the person ordering the report and keep 1 for yourself.

There are no qualifications required to undertake EICR's .............. but in the case of things going wrong you would need to be able to prove your competency ................. and you should consider having PL Ins.

A council may well want you to be tied to a scheme and this is nearly always blindly the NICEIC.

Westward is right, I have done a few council rental units and they always insist on Niceic Approved contractors so be careful before taking the job on.

I know what your saying with the niceic as the company I am working for now do a lot for the council and they do swear by niceic. That's why I was worrying about taking it on, it is only a small unit, few sockets and lights, machines just plug in only small. I will have public liability insurance in the next few months maybe just after the job is tested.

Is this testing of the fixed wiring installation?
Or as owners of the unit the council is asking for testing of any alterations that have taken place?

The reason I ask, in my opinion,the council being the owners,the original fixed wiring is their responsibility,the tenants are responsible only for anything they have installed

Now to me this would also make a difference as to whether they can insist on a niceic report

If they are paying they can ask for whoever they want,if the payment is made by the tenant for work that they have had done,these tenants can also decide who supplies the report

I am not sure at the moment I assume it' the test of the fixed wiring I haven't actually been to look at the job as of yet as I wasn' sure if I could do it, this is why I asked on here first. When i go to look at the job the guy has the letter for me which I can look at what the council are actually asking for. So what your are saying is if it' for the fixed wiring of the unit then the council will more than likely want someone niceic registered if it' for what the tenant has installed then the tenenat can decide who give the report?

I am not sure at the moment I assume it' the test of the fixed wiring I haven't actually been to look at the job as of yet as I wasn' sure if I could do it, this is why I asked on here first. When i go to look at the job the guy has the letter for me which I can look at what the council are actually asking for. So what your are saying is if it' for the fixed wiring of the unit then the council will more than likely want someone niceic registered if it' for what the tenant has installed then the tenenat can decide who give the report?
Hi, with regards to testing the installation, you need to have BS2391 or the newer equivalent (2394 &2395). It doesn't matter who you go with (NICEIC,Elecsa and ECA are now all the same company), you will need this qualification to gain admission to whichever scheme you decide to go with.To gain this qualification, you won't get much change from £1400, plus you will need a tester, but i assume you already have one.

Hi, with regards to testing the installation, you need to have BS2391 or the newer equivalent (2394 &2395). It doesn't matter who you go with (NICEIC,Elecsa and ECA are now all the same company), you will need this qualification to gain admission to whichever scheme you decide to go with.To gain this qualification, you won't get much change from £1400, plus you will need a tester, but i assume you already have one.
rubbish. he needs to be competent to test the installation. having 2391 or 2395 is just a paper qualification that he has done the course and passed the exam/s. that may not guarantee that he is competent.

Reply to Help needed testing for small industrial unit (electrical check) in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock