Discuss Help needed wiring mechanical timer switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Whin

-
Reaction score
Screen_Shot_2018_03_21_at_15_53_00.png
Hello all, you helped a lot last time.

I am trying to replace a light switch with a mechanical timer: Greenbrook Mechanical Timer 230V - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/greenbrook-mechanical-timer-230v/4883r

The current setup with the switch plate removed looks like this:

Above this switch is another that controls an immersion heater.

I tried connecting the live wires to '3' and '4' as instructed and it works apart from when it's meant to be off the connect lightbulb is pulsing on and off.

Here is the timer:
Screen_Shot_2018_03_21_at_15_52_54.png

any ideas on how to have it work correctly? i.e. not be flickering when meant to be off. - I have tried switching around the live wires.

Thank you

Without being able to test the cables I would suspect that if you wired it like this
timer switch wiring.jpg
then it should work OK, unless you are overloading the timer switch.
The switch can cope with non motor type loads of up to 16A, so it should be OK on a light.

I don't care if it works that way or not (well, of course I do really!) but I just love the way you did that Richard Burns! Excellent graphics and pic editing. It may be easy for you, but I love it! Me, I would've scribbled it on the plasterboard with a pencil and taken a pic...
High tech, that's me!

Nah, its rubbish, I should have got the pictures properly matched in size and not reversed the switch picture and drawn in the cables into the connectors, but thank you anyway.:):thumbsup:
I like the visualisation of scribbling it on plasterboard for a forum post, but it is far too complicated to take a picture!

Reply to Help needed wiring mechanical timer switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net