Discuss Help needed with lighting circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lekky1

-
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm fresh of the production line in spark training so very wet behind the ears, please be gentle with me

My father has just replaced the 3 light switches in the hall , stairs and landing, and since he has done that there is an issue, I believe he has mixed some wires up somewhere , I spent a while today trying to work it out and frankly I'm at a loss.

2 gang 2 way switch at the bottom of the stairs.

1 gang 2 way switch downstairs hall.

1 gang 2 way on the landing.

The downstairs hall light will not switch on from either position, the downstairs gang that switches on the upstairs lights is now switching on both up and down lights together, and the upstairs switch is switching on up and down lights together i will add some pictures, there is no switch wire sheathing on any cables, its old red/black red/blue/yellow cables, i have done a continuity test and tagged 2 wires with grey tape, these wires go to the 1 gang 2 way in downstairs hall, that's as far as I have got really

Help needed with lighting circuit 20181125_170924 - EletriciansForums.net

Help needed with lighting circuit 20181125_170943 - EletriciansForums.net

Help needed with lighting circuit 20181125_170903 - EletriciansForums.net

Help needed with lighting circuit 20181125_170921 - EletriciansForums.net

Help needed with lighting circuit 20181125_170842 - EletriciansForums.net

EEK. you'll need to ID each cable to find out where it goes and what it does. start with sorting the downstairs on it's own, the work on the upstairs. then sort those horrendous twisted cpc's. don't forget the cpc's to the faceplates either.

EEK. you'll need to ID each cable to find out where it goes and what it does. start with sorting the downstairs on it's own, the work on the upstairs. then sort those horrendous twisted cpc's. don't forget the cpc's to the faceplates either.

Solid green sleeving, that's older than you and Pete! :D

There's a lot of copper showing there on some of those connections.

well, at least he's not screwed onto the insulation. :D:D:D.

As Telectrix says do one at a time, you're gonna need some patience and a tester.

Solid green sleeving, that's older than you and Pete!

rubbish. gn/y only came in around 1970. i was just finishing college then.:D:D.

I can see exactly what is wrong there.

Draw two way switching (3 plate) on some paper then look at how you have connected them wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid green sleeving, that's older than you and Pete! :D

There's a lot of copper showing there on some of those connections.
Yes my dad swapped the plates over, I've started folding the cables ends over as they were all single strand and loose as ---- and will add earth link to faceplates , just trying to establish what's going on atm

Yes my dad swapped the plates over, I've started folding the cables ends over as they were all single strand and loose as ---- and will add earth link to faceplates , just trying to establish what's going on atm
Show a bit of loyalty and honour Lekky1. Bad form to blame your old man even if he did do it. ;)

He's got the Line & Switch Wires (red & black) connected to the wrong strappers on one of the switches.

Edit: the 3 core you've identified with grey tape doesn't have a line & sw so this switch won't turn any light on.

We allow you to omit the CPC for clarity and diagrammatic enhancement.
Looking after our own - nice diagram!

Assuming the ground and first floors are on separate circuits you will have 2 live circuits in the 2 gang switch - be careful!

Assuming the ground and first floors are on separate circuits you will have 2 live circuits in the 2 gang switch - be careful!
All done as per drawing and works perfectly,
Yes there is, all done and wired correctly with cpc links to faceplates and no exposed copper, all working a treat now, thanks to everyone for the help :)

lesson 1.....

tell dad to get you in there before he f*cks up the next circuit.

Reply to Help needed with lighting circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock