Discuss Help needed with understanding IR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks did not know that, sounds crazy to me but those standards writers must know that they're doing!
No problem. Strangely it seems to be a commonly misunderstood part of the Regulations although the same or similar Regulations have persisted through the various Editions.

The 1Mohm requirement is actually for initial verification but stands to reason that it maybe, can used as a guide figure for carrying out an EICR

The 1Mohm requirement is actually for initial verification but stands to reason that it maybe, can used as a guide figure for carrying out an EICR
Yes indeed there isn't a minimum value defined for periodic inspection and testing.

No problem. Strangely it seems to be a commonly misunderstood part of the Regulations although the same or similar Regulations have persisted through the various Editions.

Unless I'm missing something is it because there is nowhere to record this value on the standard forms?

Unless you had a good feel for the results, and was concerned, why would you calculate it other than to put it in a result box on the form.

Really hoping there isn't a box I've been missing.

Unless I'm missing something is it because there is nowhere to record this value on the standard forms?

Unless you had a good feel for the results, and was concerned, why would you calculate it other than to put it in a result box on the form.

Really hoping there isn't a box I've been missing.
I either record it against an entry for meter tails or for the relevant distribution circuit, or simply list the figure alongside every box.

Firstly I presume you meant one Megohm (one million Ohms) as opposed to one Ohm.

Secondly the minimum values in the Regulations are for the entire installation (i.e. after you have done your calculation if you don't measure the whole installation in one go). (For a larger installation it can be subdivided.)
Thank goodness somebody commented!

As above you can't accept a lower value than 1mohm on any part of the installation whether combined or not. If you measure 20 circuits and get 0.1mohm combined that could be a fault on one circuit.
However if you break it down and they are all 1.5mohm then that's classed as ok.
You wrote 1mohm which is 0.001 ohm not 1 M ohm! Yes we all know what you meant, but it is important to get units correct. In this case your unit was 1000,000,000 times smaller that the 1M ohm.

Yes indeed there isn't a minimum value defined for periodic inspection and testing.
Really? I did not realise that. And then they recommend expensive Arc detection!
I would have thought that an overall IR test was one of the easier ways of checking for problems that could cause electric shock from metal appliances / wall lights. I have found live metal wall and ceiling lights have often been the cause of poor IR. Immersion heaters are the most common culprits in my experience.

Reply to Help needed with understanding IR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net