Discuss Help! Never seen this before! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think you need to disconnect earths one at a time and see how the Ze fluctuates and hopefully when you remove one the results will go up massively. This should then point you in the right direction to where the the earth is currently coming from.

I would not resort to an earth rod yet until you get to the bottom of the where the earth is coming from currently.

That is a lead sheathed cable coming in which should be connected to the ISCO sealing chamber and other ISCO boxes.

Inspect and test the cover of the sealing chamber to see if it is connected to the lead sheath and then test it to see if it gives a good Ze.

Just t
That is a lead sheathed cable coming in which should be connected to the ISCO sealing chamber and other ISCO boxes.

Inspect and test the cover of the sealing chamber to see if it is connected to the lead sheath and then test it to see if it gives a good Ze.
just tried that and it wouldn’t pick an Earth up from the casing

Steve93, I agree with the others about checking the present earthing config although you might find it has been relying on the gas bond, and anything else providing a bit of continuity is purely by luck. The service cable almost certainly has a good earth on its sheath although it doesn't look like it was made off.

But what interests me is that ISCo service head. That was probably a 3-wire DC service originally, pos and neg lines with separate cutouts (in this case each with two fuses) and a neutral. These are very scarce now and if the DNO are called to replace it, I will happily send you some loot to give them a drink to leave it behind, and ship it to us for the museum. Please give me a shout if you go down that route!

DNO don’t seem to care! They bassicly told me to put it on a TT system. They can send someone out to see if it can be changed to PME but that’s a 5 week waiting time.

DNO don’t seem to care! They bassicly told me to put it on a TT system. They can send someone out to see if it can be changed to PME but that’s a 5 week waiting time.
DNO coming on a slow boat from China? that lead time is a disgrace.

I’ve explained. There are final circuits and one 6mm which goes to the gas bond only! Nothing else no main earth nothing. Just the earths from the circuits

Did you explain to them that there’s an unearthed cast iron cutout with open holes in the top exposing live parts?
The TT/PME answer sounds more like the standard response to asking for an earth connection rather than reporting this situation.

Reply to Help! Never seen this before! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net