Discuss Help! Never seen this before! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the op needs to get DNO in to have a look at it ,if he is in doubt.
test at the cu and test for a earth on old DNO isolators . what's the betting their is a earth some where .ring up Scottish and south Elecs.

I've seen it before, inside the cast iron isolators theirs a rewireable fuse, what your seeing is a split supply for another building aswell as yours. Back in the 50's it was also acceptable to use the gas as the earth. The meter fitter wants reporting, but it is upto the electrician to give a earth. is it a rural location?

Did you explain to them that there’s an unearthed cast iron cutout with open holes in the top exposing live parts?
The TT/PME answer sounds more like the standard response to asking for an earth connection rather than reporting this situation.
Yes explained clear as day she just put me on hold and then went on to say they can send someone out in 5 weeks.

I've seen it before, inside the cast iron isolators theirs a rewireable fuse, what your seeing is a split supply for another building aswell as yours. Back in the 50's it was also acceptable to use the gas as the earth. The meter fitter wants reporting, but it is upto the electrician to give a earth. is it a rural location?
If that’s the case how come I can’t get any earth reading off the casing?

If that’s the case how come I can’t get any earth reading off the casing?

Look I’m an adult learner. I have experience but I have not come across something like this. This is why I have written on here for advice. Now some people are just saying call DNO some are saying just TT it. Surely DNO need to see it and change it as it is so old? Or am I wrong and it’s fine and I just need to supply my own Earth? And TT the whole house?

Look I’m an adult learner. I have experience but I have not come across something like this. This is why I have written on here for advice. Now some people are just saying call DNO some are saying just TT it. Surely DNO need to see it and change it as it is so old? Or am I wrong and it’s fine and I just need to supply my own Earth? And TT the whole house?
Good call. I agree....DNO. Tell them it's old and there's danger involved.

I am installing solar to a house and this is there main incoming. I can’t see an Earth anywhere but test ZS across L-N coming out at 0.20. Then with gas bond disconnected is 0.38! But we only have gas bonding. No other earth anywhere. Anyone had this?

View attachment 44800

View attachment 44801

Unless I’m missing something I do t see what the problem is. I’ve come across this situation a few times.

You will of course get a loop impedance reading to neutral as the neutral will be connected to earth at the sub station.

In days of yesteryear the gas could be used as the main earth but since the advent of yellow plastic pipes this is not allowed. Water too was used but stopped for the same reasons.

DNO’s have become increasingly less interested in the earthing set up of a property. Even as recently as 25 years ago it was said that he earthing was the responsibility of the consumer. Unless there are live parts exposed at the DNO’s equipment they won’t bother to treat it as urgent.

Easiest solution is to convert the system to a TT and carry on.

Unless I’m missing something I do t see what the problem is. I’ve come across this situation a few times.

You will of course get a loop impedance reading to neutral as the neutral will be connected to earth at the sub station.

In days of yesteryear the gas could be used as the main earth but since the advent of yellow plastic pipes this is not allowed. Water too was used but stopped for the same reasons.

DNO’s have become increasingly less interested in the earthing set up of a property. Even as recently as 25 years ago it was said that he earthing was the responsibility of the consumer. Unless there are live parts exposed at the DNO’s equipment they won’t bother to treat it as urgent.

Easiest solution is to convert the system to a TT and carry on.

That's bull...
The incoming equipment is owned by the supply authority. If any danger occurs it's their responsibility.
They may have less interest but that doesn't mean they aren't responsible.

The equipment is old and, especially looking at the ceramics involved, requires an upgrade.
I've had quite a few changed over the years.

Reply to Help! Never seen this before! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net