Discuss Help! Never seen this before! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The coloured discs attached to the backboard maybe an indication that the neutral conductor has been directly attached to the main earthling terminal, thus making this a tns . Your thoughts girls and guys.

That's bull...
The incoming equipment is owned by the supply authority. If any danger occurs it's their responsibility.
They may have less interest but that doesn't mean they aren't responsible.

The equipment is old and, especially looking at the ceramics involved, requires an upgrade.
I've had quite a few changed over the years.

You are correct, the incoming equipment is the owned and is the responsibility of the DNO but as I said the earthing is not their responsibility and has not been for some time, it is now being pushed as the responsibility of the consumer. Unless there is a real and present danger, they will not consider it a priority to attend site to look at ‘no earth’. You will find that they are doing the same for lateral mains which they are now pushing to the free holders.

Help! Never seen this before! 5FD6E57D-5449-4DDA-B5F2-B55FAA2B411B - EletriciansForums.net
That's bull...
The incoming equipment is owned by the supply authority. If any danger occurs it's their responsibility.
They may have less interest but that doesn't mean they aren't responsible.

The equipment is old and, especially looking at the ceramics involved, requires an upgrade.
I've had quite a few changed over the years.

but as I said the earthing is not their responsibility and has not been for some time, it is now being pushed as the responsibility of the consumer.

Unless I'm much mistaken, distributors are obliged to provide an earth wherever practical as stated in the ESQC regulations, regulation 24 item 4 to be precise.

"(4) Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons of safety, a distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low voltage, make available his supply neutral conductor or, if appropriate, the protective conductor of his network for connection to the protective conductor of the consumer’s installation."

And I'm sure that incomplete quote is likely to go on and state it is the consumers responsibility to ensure the installation is earthed, which it is. That doesn't alter the fact the DNO is obliged to provide a means of earthing wherever possible.

Although there is nothing dangerous with the the current ISCO equipment currently installed and in fact looks in very good condition for its age a modern insulated head would be inherently safer and with the possibility of a TNC-S connection (area dependant).

I would of probably rang the DNOs emergency No. and stated I could hear fizzing from inside IF I wanted it changed ASAP.

The E.B. lads are usually really helpful if you manage to get them onsite.

And I'm sure that incomplete quote is likely to go on and state it is the consumers responsibility to ensure the installation is earthed, which it is. That doesn't alter the fact the DNO is obliged to provide a means of earthing wherever possible.

Correct again. They are obliged to provide a means of earthing but it is the consumers responsibility to Earth his installation.

Sorry! This is the full article.

Responsibility for earthing of an electrical installation - http://professional-electrician.com/features/responsibility-electrical-installation/

You are correct, the incoming equipment is the owned and is the responsibility of the DNO but as I said the earthing is not their responsibility and has not been for some time, it is now being pushed as the responsibility of the consumer. Unless there is a real and present danger, they will not consider it a priority to attend site to look at ‘no earth’. You will find that they are doing the same for lateral mains which they are now pushing to the free holders.
The earthing isn't the actual issue for contacting the authority. It's the age and suitability of the incoming equipment. Upgrade of any earthing facility, if occurring, is a bonus.
A talk on site is the way to explore possibilities.

I don’t think it was, as far as I can remember all the old regs books I’ve got don’t allow the use of pipes carrying flammable fluids.

Well being sad, I have some books dating back to 1900 which say it was acceptable. Would that be 3rd edtion? either way, I've come across quite alot here in yorkshire. some being post war buildings.

From my experience .
Old supply. ( rewirable fuse. not cartridge.)
Needs new cut out.
Earth has not been sweated onto incomer. ( probably )
I usually get customer to complain about incomer and supply company usually fit a new one.
You could try scrapping insulation ( sticky bit ) until you see lead.
Then get ya tester on that.

Reply to Help! Never seen this before! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock