Discuss Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have this week taken matters into my own hands to end the shoddy electrics done by kitchen fitters. I'm doing the kitchen fit as a sideline to doing the electrical work :D If they insist on doing my job then I'll do their's while I'm at it. At least I'll know it's all done right.

I've just teamed up with a kitchen fitter, he feeds me regular jobs, this is for a big shop, Let's just say if you would some wire round a nail and put some voltage over it you would find the shop.

anyway, he explained to me the other day how it works, he is given the job of fitting the kitchen, and a budget to get it done, then it's up to him to source a plumber and spark etc, all the paperwork he showed me seems a lot of hassle to be honest.

I suppose i dint don't mind doing it as I know that the work I am doing is all to a good standard, but I know where the relationship will fall apart, it's when he says can you put a couple more sockets in and I turn up and say something like there's no RCD and solid green bonding or something, I'll say well that needs dealing with and he will say I just want the sockets, and I'll leave him hanging when he doesn't want to do it as he didn't factor things in that he doesn't understand and so on.

Well if you have any problems or are a bit unsure of anything you can always seek advice on here. :)

I've just teamed up with a kitchen fitter, he feeds me regular jobs, this is for a big shop, Let's just say if you would some wire round a nail and put some voltage over it you would find the shop.

anyway, he explained to me the other day how it works, he is given the job of fitting the kitchen, and a budget to get it done, then it's up to him to source a plumber and spark etc, all the paperwork he showed me seems a lot of hassle to be honest.

I suppose i dint don't mind doing it as I know that the work I am doing is all to a good standard, but I know where the relationship will fall apart, it's when he says can you put a couple more sockets in and I turn up and say something like there's no RCD and solid green bonding or something, I'll say well that needs dealing with and he will say I just want the sockets, and I'll leave him hanging when he doesn't want to do it as he didn't factor things in that he doesn't understand and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNC3OciAF3w

Hi guys.
He has been back andi gave him full opportunity to put things right. He put some trunking around the cables. But it still is in same position and Asia certain he didn't disconnect it it must still be across pipes somewhere. I will check n post pictures later.
Thats the good bit regarding the hob/oven I made it quite clear that I knew it shouldn't be connected like that and that the manuals said the same.
He rambled on about if people knew they could just put plugs on them they might plug them into lighting circuits that are not high enough rating. I said why would someone plug Fkg things into a lighting circuit when they have put a plug on. They would just plug it into the wall which according to you is the correct way.
He then rambled on about the circuit boards only taking 2.1/2 amps from each hob making 10 amps and I could gave all 4 on with oven all day without any worries.
At this point I couldn't listen to any more and left.
By the way the company involved is not one of the big places. It's a smallish company We used them as we wanted to use and help local companies.Although I have realised now they seem to do a
many sorts of building work.
pWill post pictures of the splendid new trunking for your amusement later.
once again thnx all

Just a small thing that is also bothering us. They also fitted a new shower a Mira jump and although it seems to work. There is a large green light at the top on all the time. He has wired the shower into the cooker part of the consumer box.
Isvthis ok
thnx

If you are suggesting he has wired the shower on to the same circuit breaker as the cooker then although it may give adequate protection is wrong and only a cowboy would do such a thing.

Last edited:
No cord and to be fair I haven't really looked around it. Just makes my bathroom look like an airport runway.
He removed my old cooker from the cooker consumer slot and has put the shower lead in. So only the one feed .

That may well be quite satisfactory by the sound of it, so long as it's correctly labelled etc and terminations are sound.

id be suprised if the light on the standard unit was that bright, I'm not familiar with that exact model but have fitted a lot of Mira and triton showers and usually they just glow, they are in no way a bright light from my experience, unless he has mounted the LED inside straight in instead of sideways possibly? I'm not sure if that's possible.

The pull cord issue, I guess you could say if he has only replaced the existing shower then it's not really his fault as it's just a straight swap, but if he has installed a new circuit and shower, then really he should have fitted a pull switch on the celing or another suitable form of local isolation / switching.

Thnx,
Well that sounds positiveish.
The light is bright and put it this way we haven't had to put the light on in there and the bathroom glows like a UFO has landed from the end of the road.
Anyway it's a small gripe that I wouldn't be bothered about if not for the electrical work.

fitted a shower recently, yes it did had a bright green light around its on/off button. no way to disable it other than turning the power off on the isolator switch.

fitted a shower recently, yes it did had a bright green light around its on/off button. no way to disable it other than turning the power off on the isolator switch.

I generally for Mira sport showers or triton opal I think it is, maybe I've just not seen one with such a bright light. You could always unhook the LED from the back if it's annoying you, obviously don't do it unless you are capable of doing so and competent etc.

image.jpgWell it's the same make. But looks different.
heres a pic of it in full glow.
It was a completely new shower fitting Previously no shower in property

It does look quite bright doesn't it. well like I say, there is the option to remove that LED, it "might" be the case that its be incorrectly mounted and is shining straight out which is why it is so bright, but not 100% sure.

As for the fact that there is no shower pull switch for local switching, I am just looking in the regs as to find something about it, I cant think where it is.

Reply to Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net