Discuss Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the furthest light (physically) from the fuse board may well be the first one on the circuit. also,are you sure that the light that works is not on the upstairs circuit? it has been know, especially with lights that have 2 way switching, might even have L from circuit#1 and N from circuit#2.

Up & down light definitely not linked, definitely separate fuses & only linked by the switch having two separate switches, u can't turn downstairs light on/off from upstairs, only upstairs light from down lol. Just pulled the switch off from kitchen, wires were solidly fixed, yet with it totally removed, still no other lights, so guessing its not the switch here.

Morning, thanks for all the comments. I have a switchbox (not breaker) that has fuses in it that has 5 fuses in it, 2 for lights (up/down) 2 for sockets (U/D) & 1 for the cooker. If I swap the fuses for lights, all still work upstairs so thats how I know fuses ok. The light that works is not closest to fuse box. FB is in a converted garage & the light in that room does not work, in fact, I would say only light that does work is furthest from the FB. Nearly all my lights downstairs are spotlights, I think maybe a loop issue somewhere ? PS: I am in the UK
"If I swap the fuses for lights all still work" are you just swapping the upstairs and downstairs over, have you actually checked to see if the fuse on the circuit that isn't working is OK? Your original post seems to intimate that all the lights are on 1 fuse, in your last post you say you have 2 fuses 1 for up and 1 for down 99% sure 1 of the fuses has blown, time to get your tools out and check the fuses out.

Morning, thanks for all the comments. I have a switchbox (not breaker) that has fuses in it that has 5 fuses in it, 2 for lights (up/down) 2 for sockets (U/D) & 1 for the cooker. If I swap the fuses for lights, all still work upstairs so thats how I know fuses ok. The light that works is not closest to fuse box. FB is in a converted garage & the light in that room does not work, in fact, I would say only light that does work is furthest from the FB. Nearly all my lights downstairs are spotlights, I think maybe a loop issue somewhere ? PS: I am in the UK
"If I swap the fuses for lights all still work" are you just swapping the upstairs and downstairs over, have you actually checked to see if the fuse on the circuit that isn't working is OK? Your original post seems to intimate that all the lights are on 1 fuse, in your last post you say you have 2 fuses 1 for up and 1 for down 99% sure 1 of the fuses has blown, time to get your tools out and check the fuses out.

2 fuses, A - Downstairs, B Upstairs. 1 light from A working, all from B working. If I remove fuse B & put in Fuse A slot & A into B, then same result, all up ok, only 1 from down working.
I have now dropped down 20 spotlights & checked all wiring, all ok & tight. I have checked 4 ceiling lights, all ok & tight. I have removed 4 light bulbs, all ok & work in lamps. Nothing on the face of it is wrong, everything "should" work. I have a friend who is going to lend me a multi-meter in a couple of hours, that I suppose is best way to check if I am getting feed ?

If fuse had blown, I would be able to swap them over. I have tried with just 1 fuse in, swapping them over, same result whatever I do

you need to do dead test continuity on L, N ( and E ). this would entail using a wander lead.

2 fuses, A - Downstairs, B Upstairs. 1 light from A working, all from B working. If I remove fuse B & put in Fuse A slot & A into B, then same result, all up ok, only 1 from down working.
I have now dropped down 20 spotlights & checked all wiring, all ok & tight. I have checked 4 ceiling lights, all ok & tight. I have removed 4 light bulbs, all ok & work in lamps. Nothing on the face of it is wrong, everything "should" work. I have a friend who is going to lend me a multi-meter in a couple of hours, that I suppose is best way to check if I am getting feed ?
You must take care when working /testing on live circuits, especially with a borrowed DIY meter, which I presume what your Friend is, a DIYer.
Test leads need to be up to an industry standard, which your borrowed meter may not conform to, this in its self could be dangerous, I would seriously think again before attempting this, do yourself a big favour and get some professional help, call an Electrician.

Last edited:

No: The best & safest way now is to call a sparky, if you find no feed at some point would you know how to actually locate the fault ?. I'm all for DIY but also for people knowing their limits.

Reply to Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net