Discuss Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@Amateur: there's DIY and there's DIY. as long as you know your limitations. where in cheshire are you?

Sunny Runcorn mate, Cheshire sounds so much better though!:D

I regularly have sparks in to do various jobs in work so always lend a hand when i can to see what i can learn from them. They are getting free labour and i am learning so good for both parties.

Last edited:
was round that way yesterday. got lost coming back from Liverpool Airport.bloody diversions poorly signed.

was round that way yesterday. got lost coming back from Liverpool Airport.bloody diversions poorly signed.

Its a nightmare mate with the new Mersey Crossing being built. Different expressways are opening and closing constantly with all kinds of diversions. Hopefully all done this autumn apparently.

can't wait. now there's going to be a choice of bridges for the suicidal.

PMSL, yeah, do i go for the posh new one but risk there being a queue of suicidal people or just go for the old faithfull Silver Jubilee bridge!:D

It seems like every week someone wants to jump off it, just shows how nice an area it is to live. Must be all the chemicals in the air.

2nd sparky came & went yesterday, friggin £45 call out charge to do nowt. I have since tested the lines myself, if I use the live from working blocks in ceiling to any of my non working lights, they all work, so a definite break in the live somewhere but I cannot tell which light is next on the ring.

If I run a new live cable on the main line from my working light to another in the joists, what is the recommended cable I should use? Im guessing standard lighting cable not man enough & will need something more sturdy ?
Thanks

2nd sparky came & went yesterday, friggin £45 call out charge to do nowt.

i'd be ashamed to ask for any money if i could not find such a fault. what a plonker.

you need to get a decent electrician, one that's done a proper apprenticeship, not a jumped up Electrical Trainee that don't know his arse from his elbow.

Guessing this not man enough ?

View attachment 37558
that'would be like slapping a bandage on a scratch. you need to get the fault fixed. there could be a loos live cable floating about in the void, just waiting for someone to fish in there and OUCH!.

OK> cable should be twin/earth. best to use same size as the existing. e.g. 1.0mm or 1.5mm.

Thanks, so the one I posted a pic of should be fine or is that just for looping ?

Im guessing that as I can get lights to all lights from powering externally (use of live in working light to any switch) the worse I have is an incomplete circuit meaning the circuit will just have lower power at the CU ?

Im a DIY'er too so my logical approach might be easier for you to follow.

Firstly though just to clarify do you know what youre looking at in the ceiling roses with regards to switched live, permanent live (loop/radial), neutral & earth?

You didnt clarify either that youre 100% sure that the 1 working light is on the downstairs circuit by pulling all other fuses (or switching MCB's off) to make sure.

Once thats confirmed then If it were me i would just do as ive already said with regards to tracing the loop/radial cable from the first working light. That is most likely the fault wether it be a live or neutral fault because clearly something has happened between the first and second lights, either the connection in the rose/terminal in the first light, the cable from the first to the second light or the connections in the rose/terminal on the second light. Its just a simple process of elimination really.

The pro's on here would find the fault a lot quicker with their test equipment and knowledge but im confident you would find it as stated above too.

Thanks but if u had read the post, all you have recommended has been attempted. due to the layout of my house, I cant trace the fault, nor could 2 electricians. there is only 1 place I can access the junction in a ceiling without cutting holes in my ceiling & that is my lounge where I have laminate in bedroom above. If I connect the live only from working switch to my lounge switch, I get lights in the whole of the downstairs, so I am planning on running a live only connection from the working light to the lounge. This will then give me lights all downstairs. Sadly I have just realised that to remove the laminate above, I have to take 80% of it up (15ft square room) so a lot of work especially with furniture. I cant really cut through laminate & chipboard at same time as my joists run the wrong way for me to cable through to working light, its a nightmare for sure! I can access working light from above, as its under the builtin wardrobe. I am awaiting delivery (today) of a 127mm hole saw & I will cut out a hatch to see the working light from above asap. I might be lucky & see the fault there, if so, I will be happy, if not, laminate removal will be the only answer I feel

So what cable do I need ?
A decent, capable Electrician who isn't going to rip you off mate that's what you need. Where did you find this Crook Electrician who came, did SFA and Fox Trot Oscared? not Checkatrade was it? I wouldn't have the gonads to do that, what a barsteward.

Last edited:

Reply to Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net