Discuss Help on how to get this light working? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi i recently bought a metal lathe which was three phase i have today wired the lathes motor to a vfd as im only on single phase electric, the downside to this is i have lost all the lathes original electronics including the coolant pump (i have got this working) and the little work light.

The light is what i need help with i want to run it direct from a 13amp plug and still keep the little on and off switch on the handle the light fitting says 25v 100w.

How and what do i need to get this wired up please?

20171012_121713.jpg

20171012_121724.jpg

20171012_121753.jpg

That light fitting is designed to be very low voltage supplied via a transformer. I'm guessing it was supplied from the transformer in the control panel.

This conversion is giving me the heebie jeebies. Are the controls such as safety switches and inching functions working? I can't help thinking this machine is likely to be dangerous. How much electrical and control experience do you have?

That light fitting is designed to be very low voltage supplied via a transformer. I'm guessing it was supplied from the transformer in the control panel.

This conversion is giving me the heebie jeebies. Are the controls such as safety switches and inching functions working? I can't help thinking this machine is likely to be dangerous. How much electrical and control experience do you have?

Hi yes the light ran from the fuse box were there is a transformer everything on the lathe does not work but i got a new control box which stop starts slows down the machine perfect i will be getting the emergency foot brake wired into it

That transformer looks like it can be used across a wide range of input voltages so could probably be reconfigured to work with single phase supply.

That transformer looks like it can be used across a wide range of input voltages so could probably be reconfigured to work with single phase supply.

tried getting local companies out to get this running from single phase with no joy no one wanted to touch it????

So i have got a vfd and control unit now running the motor, the coolant pump is 440 star cannot change it but i have ran a cap and it appears to be working the only other thing i need to change is the light and get the e stop wired into the vfd and im sorted

ideally i wanted to leave all the original wiring as is so if i was to sell the lathe all the three phase is still wired correctly

I would have done a proper conversion to single phase and just sold it in future along with all the 400v contactor coils and lamps that were removed during the conversion.

I would have done a proper conversion to single phase and just sold it in future along with all the 400v contactor coils and lamps that were removed during the conversion.
i would have if i known how but i dont tried to get this done but no one in hull was interested in doing the job, the good thing about using the vfd though s i now have infinite speeds to the lathe

There's a good chance converting the controls to single phase wouldn't even require any new components. I'd honestly suggest you stop and explore the single phase conversion of the original controls again. Maybe look for an machine tools enthusiasts group in your local area, they often do these kinda projacts more as a labour of love than for profit. If you're lucky, maybe even one of the forum members in your area would be interested in checking it out and giving you some advice at a sensible price.

Please tell me this is for personal home use only, as the amount of statutory regulations you haven't followed is worrying.

Nobody wants to touch it as most electricians would not have the knowledge or competence to bring it up to current regulations. Once you start modifying the control of the machine they would legally have to CE mark it. If you plan on selling it at any point in the future you will have to do the same.

How are you planning on wiring a foot brake into the system? As you will need to stop the chuck within a set time, and that VFD you purchased is doubtful to have any functions that would satisfy this criteria.

or put it back as it was and get a 3 phase supply. o_O, coz how it is is like buying a Chevy Corvette when you only have diesel fuel available.

or put it back as it was and get a 3 phase supply. o_O, coz how it is is like buying a Chevy Corvette when you only have diesel fuel available.
tried a single to three phase converter this lathe set up does not run on it correctly already explored

Please tell me this is for personal home use only, as the amount of statutory regulations you haven't followed is worrying.

Nobody wants to touch it as most electricians would not have the knowledge or competence to bring it up to current regulations. Once you start modifying the control of the machine they would legally have to CE mark it. If you plan on selling it at any point in the future you will have to do the same.

How are you planning on wiring a foot brake into the system? As you will need to stop the chuck within a set time, and that VFD you purchased is doubtful to have any functions that would satisfy this criteria.

The foot brake is mechanical as well as electrical when you push down on the brake it touches a contacter which turn the motor off then keep pushing the brake further down and it applies the brakes onto the spindle to bring it to a stop, this can and will be wired into the vfd other than this all that has really happened is i am now using a different control box

this is for home use and after speaking to alot of people on forums and companies this was the best route to go, people who already have a single or three phase lathe convert them to vfd this is not uncommom

20171012_154348.jpg

i was just wanting some advice on getting the light wired up to a plug just like a simple lamp

think i will need some sort of transformer but you lot will know better than me, and were to get it from.

Can you post a good picture of the transformer.

Without seeing it first-hand it is impossible to say how and where to connect that but it does have a 220v primary supply. I have no idea of your electrical skills but it is a straight forward build to obtain a 24v, 100va isolating transformer and fit it in an enclosure with suitable fusing and cord restraint. Does that lamp function.

Without seeing it first-hand it is impossible to say how and where to connect that but it does have a 220v primary supply. I have no idea of your electrical skills but it is a straight forward build to obtain a 24v, 100va isolating transformer and fit it in an enclosure with suitable fusing and cord restraint. Does that lamp function.
thats gone straight over my head thats why i was wanting to buy a tranformer of some sort wired to a plug easy if it can be done????

You need to search for a 24v, 100va power supply, if that is a standard tungsten lamp with a straight forward on/off switch it can be ac or dc.

Rob has already posted,what i was thinking,but there is a very good reason,that work lamp is designed to be DC...if the OP is not aware why this is,he may want to consider getting an overview of the project,by someone who does.

It might save either the OP,or whoever uses the machine in the future,the injury incurred,when going to place the chuck key,in a stationary chuck-that isn't.

Reply to Help on how to get this light working? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net