Discuss help on wiring emergency switch lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Not quite got to this stage in the project yet but trying to think forward on what needs to be done, I haven't had much experience with wiring emergency switch lighting, Live and Switch Lives. Can someone tell me if the wiring is wrong in this wiring sketch and how to rectify.
I've deliberately left out Earthing.

Em key switch wiring.jpg

C/U PERM LIVE>>COM of key switch and to com of manual override switch/photocell etc

from L1 of key switch>> L of emg light fitting
from L1 of manual override switch or photocell etc>> L1 of light fitting

the key switch is to break the perm feed to the emergency light to mimic a lose of power.

you should feed the key switch by the same circuit as the local non/emg lighting

C/U PERM LIVE>>COM of key switch and to com of manual override switch/photocell etc

from L1 of key switch>> L of emg light fitting
from L1 of manual override switch or photocell etc>> L1 of light fitting

the key switch is to break the perm feed to the emergency light to mimic a lose of power.

you should feed the key switch by the same circuit as the local non/emg lighting

I knew there was something not right but really couldn't work it out. I haven't wired an emergency lighting circuit yet and something I really want to understand, thanks for the help JCE

your keyswitch should interrupt only the perm. L to the EM. it should not affect the operation of the light/s via the normal (user)switch. so you take L from supply to both switches, then L1 out of user switch to operate the light normally, and L out from the keyswitch to L on the EM.

get rid of the neon- that not needed.....

change your L out on your 2pole switch to go to L1 on emg fitting AND L on non emg
get rid of the L2 wiring on key switch

Hi guys sorry about the slow reply I'm just working it out using Daves recommendation actually drawing a switch, its certainly helped me before, and there is no spec I'm just trying to understand the wiring process of where the conductors go before/if I ever need to wire an emergency lighting circuit, I enjoy the logic side of wiring but this ones got me scratching my head

Em key switch wiring.jpg

get rid of the neon- that not needed.....

change your L out on your 2pole switch to go to L1 on emg fitting AND L on non emg
get rid of the L2 wiring on key switch

Ok got rid of the neon and ignoring the Neutral, 'L out' from the 2 pole switch now goes to 'L1' in Emergency light and 'L' in non emergency light fitting

Em key switch 11.jpg

Just to complicate things , we've started using meg test modules , you run all your em switch wires back to mains and through a contractor or contractors pending on amount of circuits
And the test module controls the contractor N/C
Placing all the emergency lights into test mode with the press of one button
You can set it on 3 min 30 min 3hour and it resets itself after activated time
No need for key switches everywhere
I really like the system
DELR - emergency lighting test relay: Hiquel - http://www.hiquel.com/en/factory-automation/monitoring-control-relays/tip-series-45mm-for-distribution-boxes/delr-emergency-lighting-test-relay.html

Just to complicate things , we've started using emergency lighting test modules , you run all your em switch wires back to mains and through a contractor or contractors pending on amount of circuits
I really like the system
DELR - emergency lighting test relay: Hiquel - http://www.hiquel.com/en/factory-automation/monitoring-control-relays/tip-series-45mm-for-distribution-boxes/delr-emergency-lighting-test-relay.html

Not quite got to this stage in the project yet but trying to think forward on what needs to be done, I haven't had much experience with wiring emergency switch lighting, Live and Switch Lives. Can someone tell me if the wiring is wrong in this wiring sketch and how to rectify.
I've deliberately left out Earthing.

View attachment 38076
Like your little sketch , what app / software do you use

Just to complicate things , we've started using emergency lighting test modules , you run all your em switch wires back to mains and through a contractor or contractors pending on amount of circuits
I really like the system

if you're going to the trouble of installing that type of thing then why not just fit self test fittings or an intelligent system which actually records the test results for you.

I can see a problem with that timer system where it could reset itself before you've walked round to all of the fittings at the end of the test to check that they are still illuminated.

Reply to help on wiring emergency switch lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net