Discuss HELP PLEASE light switch turns off wrong light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hunggaur

hi folks i know this is probably a quick fix but just need to check prior to investigation's

ok i am going to look at a house that has a couple of problems with its wiring

1) the house has a walk in airing cupboard with a pull cord light. this works fine, however when you turn on the bathroom light via the pull cord the light in the airing cupboard goes out. If the bathroom light is on the light in the airing cupboard will not operate. The bathroom lights have been rewired recently with spot lights ????

2) the home owner has installed a ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms and the ceiling light in the next bedroom has stopped working (i assume the main live feed to the next bedroom has not been connected or connected incorrectly.)

many thanks

jon

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Someone as wired it in series or looped the S/Line instead of the LINE.

2. Possibly ...................but how is the ceiling not working??? after all it just sits there, it's not expected to do anything really is it ......................sorry I think you missed out something there

thanks for pointing it out amended Brain types faster than the finger

sorry forgot to say thanks. based on what you have said I think they may have looped the S/Line instead of the line

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds more likely that the cupboard light is running across the L and S/L, seeing the S/L as a neutral when the bathroom light is off. when you switch the bathroom light on, this S/L becomes L, so across the cupboard light you now have L-L. = no light.

Could have put the feed to the cupboard light into the 'other' side of the bathroom two way switch instead of the common.

Could also be a disconnected neutral for the ceiling light, simple check to the wiring rose for the ceiling fan shoudl solve that one.

thanks for all your help all sorted the feed for cupboard had been wired into l2 of the pull in the bathroom and the wiring in the cupboard had been reversed.

Reply to HELP PLEASE light switch turns off wrong light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock