Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss HELP PLEASE light switch turns off wrong light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. hunggaur

hunggaur Guest

hi folks i know this is probably a quick fix but just need to check prior to investigation's

ok i am going to look at a house that has a couple of problems with its wiring

1) the house has a walk in airing cupboard with a pull cord light. this works fine, however when you turn on the bathroom light via the pull cord the light in the airing cupboard goes out. If the bathroom light is on the light in the airing cupboard will not operate. The bathroom lights have been rewired recently with spot lights ????

2) the home owner has installed a ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms and the ceiling light in the next bedroom has stopped working (i assume the main live feed to the next bedroom has not been connected or connected incorrectly.)

many thanks

jon

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  2. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Electrician's Arms

1. Someone as wired it in series or looped the S/Line instead of the LINE.

2. Possibly ...................but how is the ceiling not working??? after all it just sits there, it's not expected to do anything really is it ......................sorry I think you missed out something there

3. hunggaur

hunggaur Guest

thanks for pointing it out amended Brain types faster than the finger

sorry forgot to say thanks. based on what you have said I think they may have looped the S/Line instead of the line

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    sounds more likely that the cupboard light is running across the L and S/L, seeing the S/L as a neutral when the bathroom light is off. when you switch the bathroom light on, this S/L becomes L, so across the cupboard light you now have L-L. = no light.

5. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Could have put the feed to the cupboard light into the 'other' side of the bathroom two way switch instead of the common.

Could also be a disconnected neutral for the ceiling light, simple check to the wiring rose for the ceiling fan shoudl solve that one.

6. hunggaur

hunggaur Guest

thanks for all your help all sorted the feed for cupboard had been wired into l2 of the pull in the bathroom and the wiring in the cupboard had been reversed.

• Like Like x 1