Discuss Help please ......wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All

Just tried to replace my kitchen light but I have a wire left (which I believe is from the switch ) but I dint know where it goes . Please could somebody point me in the right direction

8DB5088F-C4E8-496B-B8C6-6AFA2FF4FDF0.jpeg

8AC306D3-7FF9-4344-8E66-8DEE93CC5F22.jpeg

F3D5FCAD-B43C-4BB1-BFCB-7BE6463E9C1C.jpeg

9DB1A639-D93F-479D-A9E9-41035497AD8F.jpeg

Seems odd because the blue and red at the switch both appear to be at the old loop in terminal.

Need the OP to answer the questions.
It looks like the 3 core (bu, ye, rd) is going from the light to the switch. Why 2 switches for one light?

One switch is for the lights the other for the plinth lights on the kitchen units . The way it’s now I can turn off /on the kitchen light but the plinth lights stay on .

maybe the yellow is for another light and as such is redundant in the light shown in the pics. as i said, on the forum it'sall guesswork. only a site visit could determine wats wat.

OP is london so could call pimlico. £200 worse off and it'll never work again.

maybe the yellow is for another light and as such is redundant in the light shown in the pics. as i said, on the forum it'sall guesswork. only a site visit could determine wats wat.

Could be, but strange why the yellow is stripped back at the light then.

OP, with just the pics you have posted its hard to say for definite what does what.
How was the old light wired up? Any pics before you removed all the wires?

I think I have a good 'guess' at why its wired that way.
We 'may' have a power feed, a switch wire (3 core) and a feed to the plinth lights.
That's why his plinth lights are on all the time

Reply to Help please ......wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net