Discuss Help Power One Aurora / Sanyo HDE RCD tripping in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noddy67

Odd one. Installed a system last Thursday. all tested. All good.

Went back to adjust panels and as soon as we reconnected the RCD tripped... and continued to (and stand-alone). Seemed to trip as we approached 2kw (of 3.8) but might have been coincidence.

Checked the IR for the cable run. Fine.

(BTW found 12v between the racking and scaffolding (not sure how) but found this in an identical combination around the corner and that's fine).

Any ideas what to look at? I guess even if there was a short on the adjusted panels (ie we damaged a cable or connection) it wouldn't show up on the AC side.

Confused and p*ssed off - it;s the first time with an Aurora inverter and I suspect it...

Hi, Can you just give us a little more info - such as how you connected the PV system - was it into the main CU, or did you install a seperate CU? I had it the otherday when connected into main CU the RCD would trip instantly, so i installed a seperate CU and all is fine.

Sometimes you dont need RCD depending on the wiring method, is this something you could do to mitigate the need for the RCD?

Hi Dansk,

It's a seperate sub RCD/sub now - fitted today after the RCD in the consumer unit was tripping (and hoping that would sort it out).

Good point on ditching the RCD altogether, but it's a TT installation so no choice (I believe).

Have you ever measured a voltate between scaff and racking - both houses back to back have it and I've never checked before on prev. installs.

Yeah, if its TL invertor you need to bond to an earth rod if its TT that will cure the touch voltage.

Did the sub unit/RCD cure the problem?

No joy on the sub-unit.

Bugger - I didn't realise the TL/TT issue. Need to sort that out but it won't sort the tripping will it? how big a cable?

Not sure whether this helps mate but I,ve been reading up on transformerless inverters in an effort to decide whether I should use them. As already stated the array has to be earthed (spiked with tncs). Also, certainly with sma inverters, the minimum rcd size is 100ma presumably to avoid the tripping problem that you have with 30ma. I would say speak to the inverter help line, maybe 100ma rcd will hold. I really don't like the problems these tl inverters throw up for us applying british regs. Can't recall off hand the regs on tt rcd rating.Design software keeps suggesting the tl inverters but I'm suspicious of using them here and try to avoid.

Hi Earwig,

I think you're right to be cautious. I didn't think this through and took the 'dual' MPPT advantage and didn't read around the downsides.

One thing I have discovered is that there's a Regs requirement, and manufacturers requirement and a best practice requirement and there is clearly no single, absolute answer out there.

Talking to the Power One people today (very helpful but...) they say there's a new paper out there that hopes to settle this but I think that should have been worked out before TL's Inverters were given MCS accreditation.

Live and learn (and cringe).

Earth rod for rails (MET/rod on tt - MET TNS (rod for tncs/out of equipotential zone) 10mm (as mentioned above), tl inverters are put on a b type rcd 100mA when rcd is required (ie TT etc), put on seperate sub/rail, TL earth leakage is quite high and will trip 30mA rcd intermittantly..(peak in generation). hope this is helpful ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for that Sniffy, my thoughts exactly. One scenario I thought of and am interested in your opinion. What about tncs with rail
in equipotential zone, say dormer window. I was thinking bond to met and a rod as main bonding is required but there's also the
issue of voltage from the ground ladder scenario.

best option transformer inverter for sanyo hybrids no need for grounding or Rcd when used with aurora transfomerless inverters
high frequency transfomer provides galvanic isolation
PM if if you require a transfomer inverters , with higher effciency than all domestic transformerless inverters 97% plus
with built in webservers

View attachment 6894i am led to believe that any metalwork on the roof is out of the e/zone, its a bit of a grey area, and has had much debate.. if i was doing a job with the scenario, it'd be an earth rod as i treat anything on the roof as outside the zone. (there are always exceptions! if it is close to metalwork/can be touched etc etc then e/zone can be extended and bond to met) other opinions may differ, i follow the earth decision tree in the dti guide. about time they updated it really.... i have attached the page (pdf) of the decision tree, not very familiar with this forum yet, im a newbie ;-) so hope ive uploaded it correctly. hope this helps

i've been doing pv electrical work for about 18 months, so im not an expert, there is a lot of mis information about, i've talked to fronius and sma about the rail earthing scenario... transformer inverters are easier, just leave frame floating, i am intrigued at what everyone elses opinions on the subject are?? though it is varying from the rcd issue!

not understanding your earth ladder quote, can you explain it a bit?? ive had a long day!!! ;-)

Last edited:
just an aside to wrap this up... the array worked fine for four days, dripped like mad on day 5 (when we fiddled with it) but has gone back to being trip free with no further work.

all I can imagine is that we unplugged the panels under load (it was early on an overcast day) and maybe that p*ssed it off.

finally thanks to all who contributed and helpled (particulary Dansk). Very much appreciated... Richard

Reply to Help Power One Aurora / Sanyo HDE RCD tripping in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock