Discuss Help replacing faulty dimmer switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

electrophobe

-
DIY
Reaction score
Good evening all,

Looking for a bit of a help, seems a relatively small task (hopefully). My property has a dimmer switch which no longer works, I purchased a replacement today although I'm now not certain that I will be able to use this as the connections are labelled differently from the previous.

Please see attached photos, the blue box is the existing faulty switch (one cable connected into COM and the other into L2) whilst the new black box only appears to have a connection for what I believe to be "switched live" on the left and L1 on the right.

I turned off the mains and used a voltage tester to ensure they are safe prior to disconnecting, just curious whether I would be able to use the new socket or if I'd require a new "like for like" one to replace it with?

20181014_165432.jpg 20181014_165445.jpg

As you only have two connections, you should be able to connect the two wires (one to each terminal) and all should be good.

I suggest you get some insulation tape and wrap it around the excess conductor that is visible. Take great care with the wiring as it could be brittle.

If this is your house, I would advise you consult a local electrician with a view to having the installation inspected. That appears to be cloth covered wiring which in an ideal world shouldn't be in service.

Good evening all,

Looking for a bit of a help, seems a relatively small task (hopefully). My property has a dimmer switch which no longer works, I purchased a replacement today although I'm now not certain that I will be able to use this as the connections are labelled differently from the previous.

Please see attached photos, the blue box is the existing faulty switch (one cable connected into COM and the other into L2) whilst the new black box only appears to have a connection for what I believe to be "switched live" on the left and L1 on the right.

I turned off the mains and used a voltage tester to ensure they are safe prior to disconnecting, just curious whether I would be able to use the new socket or if I'd require a new "like for like" one to replace it with?

View attachment 44872 View attachment 44873
Crikey, that wiring looks a bit ancient,I would advise you to get your installation inspected, that's old VIR (Vulcanized India Rubber Cable) Those cables ar single core, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are ran in old wooden capping and casing, only a certain age group would know what that is, it's a work of art to install that stuff, mitered corners, when Sparkies were revered, not like today.

Last edited:
As you only have two connections, you should be able to connect the two wires (one to each terminal) and all should be good.

I suggest you get some insulation tape and wrap it around the excess conductor that is visible. Take great care with the wiring as it could be brittle.

If this is your house, I would advise you consult a local electrician with a view to having the installation inspected. That appears to be cloth covered wiring which in an ideal world shouldn't be in service.

Thanks so much for your help, I will be having an electrician attend in the coming weeks for a new electric cooker install and will have the sockets checked at the same time, have a bad feeling the whole property may need to be rewired!

In the meantime to get this working, am I right in thinking the old COM would now be connected into the left termination (I believe the instructions listed this as "switched live") and the old L2 would now connect into the new L1?

Unfortunately the previous owners didn't treat the property half as well as I'd have hoped they had and this is just another line in a long list of issues.

As above.
The dimmer is a like for like replacement, just the markings of the terminals that is different.

Hopefully you can get it to fit back on the box without too much strain on the cables

What he said ^^^^... pattress looks a bit shallow too...

Hope there are no metal light fittings as it looks as though it’s a lighting circuit with no CPC

Friendly advice OP

If you’ve got big plans to redecorate, get the wiring sorted first. If you leave it, it’s just going to cause problems in the future.

It sounds like this place is going to be a full time doey-uppy

Ps. Where in Scotland, mate? I could do with a nice rewire job to get my teeth into

Might want to get that Artex checked for asbestos as well while you're at it.

Friendly advice OP

If you’ve got big plans to redecorate, get the wiring sorted first. If you leave it, it’s just going to cause problems in the future.

It sounds like this place is going to be a full time doey-uppy

Ps. Where in Scotland, mate? I could do with a nice rewire job to get my teeth into

Through in Glasgow, might be a few month away from it affordability wise unfortunately!

The mad thing is that there was a new bathroom, consumer unit and boiler fitted only a few years ago. Quite surprised they didn't strip all the old wiring out and replace in the process.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated ;)

I'd just stop there, don't fit the dimmer switch, don't pass go, go directly to getting some quotes for a rewire.

There's a good chance that cable will be badly degraded be very careful when handling it

meanwhile, just to get the light working, I'd change that pattress for a deeper one, carefully attach ( using block connectors or wagos) some 1.0mm flex to the existing cables and then connect into the dimmer. does look like a rewire is needed tough.

I suggest you get some insulation tape and wrap it around the excess conductor that is visible. .

I think it needs more than that to be honest, that is a car crash there, tape is not enough, it is a complete mess.

I think it needs more than that to be honest, that is a car crash there, tape is not enough, it is a complete mess.

I concur, that's why I went on to say....

"If this is your house, I would advise you consult a local electrician with a view to having the installation inspected. That appears to be cloth covered wiring which in an ideal world shouldn't be in service."

Reply to Help replacing faulty dimmer switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net