Discuss Help wiring chandelier in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all help would be really appreciated.

I have bought a chandelier to replace my ceiling rose.

I have noticed the terminals on the chandelier only have a live neutral and earth.

Whereas my ceiling rose has a live looo and a neutral and a earth.
I am a bit confused in how to wire my new chandelier up I have attached photos if you wouldn't mind helping.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 35312

View attachment 35313

View attachment 35314
That ceiling rose is a bit of an abortion, I would advise mate if you are unsure get an Electrician in, he/she will do the job properly (I hope) and save you some anguish, won't cost much, no substitute for safety.

ps.. My apologies Al, I couldn't resist :)

It's actually doublely naughty of me as I'm afraid I'm one of the cohert who generally doesnt give advice to DIY as I think the work should be carried out by an electrician. Sorry again! :oops:

That ceiling rose is a bit of an abortion, I would advise mate if you are unsure get an Electrician in, he/she will do the job properly (I hope) and save you some anguish, won't cost much, no substitute for safety.

I have removed the earth sleeving myself and only reconnected it back up quickly as to get the other lights working whilst I figure out how to wire the chandelier

I have removed the earth sleeving myself and only reconnected it back up quickly as to get the other lights working whilst I figure out how to wire the chandelier
Listen to reason Mate you are obviously a DIY Guy but you shouldn't be ferting around with something you know little about, do yourself a favour get a sparkie in to fit it, jeez get real Mate

Op now as Diy status so can we please tailor all replies with that in mind, cheers lads.

easy mate
you have 2 blacks together, these are neutral and will to the blue of your fitting, the 3 reds will not be connected to the fitting but will all be connected together, the black on its own is the switch line, should be marked up as live and the earths all need sleeving and connecting to the fitting, it might be easier if you can pull the boards up to put a junction box above

easy mate
you have 2 blacks together, these are neutral and will to the blue of your fitting, the 3 reds will not be connected to the fitting but will all be connected together, the black on its own is the switch line, should be marked up as live and the earths all need sleeving and connecting to the fitting, it might be easier if you can pull the boards up to put a junction box above
Sparks 1234 the OP is a DIYer, do you really think he should be messing with this, no mention of a MF joint box either, doubt very much if the OP knows what a MF joint box is, not his fault.

It can be difficult to achieve connection of that fitting for a DIYer in a safe manner. An electrician will hopefully have the bits and bobs to do it. These fittings never come with a suitable connection for all of those cables.

And thats why I suggested a junction box above, how many people over the years have taken a light down, thought ah, all blacks together etc etc, then bang!!!. He has asked for advice which has been given, its up to him if he thinks he can follow that advice or not.

Unbelievable. Guy has no idea what he is doing then gets shirty when advised correctly. No point trying to walk him through it, just get a local sparky in who would probably charge the price of a good Indian carry out and a few beers, why do people think its just something they can "have a bash at"? He will be plumbing his Combi boiler in next job......boom.

Unbelievable. Guy has no idea what he is doing then gets shirty when advised correctly. No point trying to walk him through it, just get a local sparky in who would probably charge the price of a good Indian carry out and a few beers, why do people think its just something they can "have a bash at"? He will be plumbing his Combi boiler in next job......boom.
Where did he get shirty?

This reminds me of a recent non client
"How much to replace 8 pendant lights"
"£200, £25 a light including parts and a minor works certificate and testing"
"That's ridiculous, its only connecting a few wires"
"But to connect those few wires I have spent three years at college have over £4k worth of tools and equipment some of which I have to pay to calibrate on a yearly basis, I have to pay for public liabilities insurance, Part P scheme membership ,van insurance, van tax, diesel to actually get to your house and then my time as I do not currently have charitable status, and if I do the job, it it isn't going to catch fire and burn your house down as I actually know what I am doing!"
Didn't get that job for some reason!:)

Reply to Help wiring chandelier in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock