Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Help Wiring Motor - Reversing Starter in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. carbitz

carbitz New EF Member

Hello Chaps

I have inherited a motor with no starter. I have therefore bought a new switch but i am struggling to connect up. I would be very grateful if any forum members could give me some advise should they be familiar with this setup? It is a single phase motor, and i am trying to add a DOL reversing starter.

20180618_092803.jpg

20180625_125306.jpg

20180626_124309.jpg

20180626_124321.jpg

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

You need to change the rmc of the start winding.

3. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

^^^What he said!

The mains wiring in the starter will need to be altered as that is a 3 phase starter. Also you will need to check that the coil voltage is 230v.

4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    or lower

5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    I could be completely off track here but what makes you say its a 3 phase starter, are you talking about the old one or the new one?

6. carbitz

carbitz New EF Member

On the box the starter came in it states "single or three phase" if that helps, it came pre-wired, except for the thermal overload which i added on.

7. Marvo

Marvo Admin and gender confused Staff Member

4.jpg

Apologies for the attrocious drawing, there's a reason I usually use CAD or Visio....

If the motor is cap start with an internal centrifugal switch, from memory this is the scheme for the power switching side of things. I'd usually just use a separate manual motor starter for thermal overload protection but I'd even omit that if the motor has a built-in current operated manual reset button.

If I've got time later I'll look in the Klokner Moeller schematic reference book and see if there's a betterr circuit diagram.....or even better I'll upload the book into the resources section of the forum.

8. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

Just looking at the pic it looks like the link wiring from the bottom of the FC contactor going to the bottom of the overload is incorrect, this should go in between the contactor and the overload, but again this is for 3 phase.
    For single phase the single phase current has to pass through all three elements of the overload or it will trip. Have to trick the overload into thinking it is seeing three phases, hence the rewiring.

9. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Never mind about the DOR,what about the terrible language,on the top of that drawing,Marvo...;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Marvo

Marvo Admin and gender confused Staff Member

It says 'cont' as in short for contactor....:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I believe you ;)
    ...unless i've been "cond" ... as in short for "condenser" :)

• Funny Funny x 1