Discuss Help Wiring Motor - Reversing Starter in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello Chaps

I have inherited a motor with no starter. I have therefore bought a new switch but i am struggling to connect up. I would be very grateful if any forum members could give me some advise should they be familiar with this setup? It is a single phase motor, and i am trying to add a DOL reversing starter.

Help Wiring Motor - Reversing Starter 20180618_092803 - EletriciansForums.net

Help Wiring Motor - Reversing Starter 20180625_125306 - EletriciansForums.net

Help Wiring Motor - Reversing Starter 20180626_124309 - EletriciansForums.net

Help Wiring Motor - Reversing Starter 20180626_124321 - EletriciansForums.net

^^^What he said!

The mains wiring in the starter will need to be altered as that is a 3 phase starter. Also you will need to check that the coil voltage is 230v.

^^^What he said!

The mains wiring in the starter will need to be altered as that is a 3 phase starter. Also you will need to check that the coil voltage is 230v.
I could be completely off track here but what makes you say its a 3 phase starter, are you talking about the old one or the new one?

On the box the starter came in it states "single or three phase" if that helps, it came pre-wired, except for the thermal overload which i added on.

Help Wiring Motor - Reversing Starter 4 - EletriciansForums.net

Apologies for the attrocious drawing, there's a reason I usually use CAD or Visio....

If the motor is cap start with an internal centrifugal switch, from memory this is the scheme for the power switching side of things. I'd usually just use a separate manual motor starter for thermal overload protection but I'd even omit that if the motor has a built-in current operated manual reset button.

If I've got time later I'll look in the Klokner Moeller schematic reference book and see if there's a betterr circuit diagram.....or even better I'll upload the book into the resources section of the forum.

Just looking at the pic it looks like the link wiring from the bottom of the FC contactor going to the bottom of the overload is incorrect, this should go in between the contactor and the overload, but again this is for 3 phase.
For single phase the single phase current has to pass through all three elements of the overload or it will trip. Have to trick the overload into thinking it is seeing three phases, hence the rewiring.

Reply to Help Wiring Motor - Reversing Starter in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock