Discuss Help with 2.2kw electric motor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m new here so thanks in advance.

I have removed a single phase 2.2kw motor from a compressor in order to put it on a table saw.

The motor runs fine when not under load. When I connect it to the saw and start it however, it blows the 13a fuse in the plug.

I have subsequently wired it into a 3 phase starter (as that is what I had) and the same thing continues to happen with the 13a fuse.

What could I be doing wrong here?

Or is it simply a case that the motor is drawing too much power under when under load for the 13amp plug?

Thanks in advance

Was it connected through a 13A plug when on the compressor.

Take a pic of the info plate on the motor and post it up?
How are you wiring it?

upload_2018-1-24_18-20-47.png

And how is the gearing driven? Have you the same combination as before?

It's never seen as an issue until something goes wrong.

Thanks for all of the replies so far, still struggling to get my head round it!

Might it be a problem with a capacitor?

Typical farmer, won't buy a new one so butchers something else and makes it dangerous instead

Typical farmer, won't buy a new one so butchers something else and makes it dangerous instead

It is a compressor that is not required and the motor is in working order.

The table saw is fine, it’s motor is not working.

In my eyes that seems like a sensible thing to do?

All I will say is leave it alone. If the table saw needs repairing then pay a professional to do it.

Saying that it sounds like you've probably had it lying around for years and it has zero safety devices fitted anyway.

My advice is to leave electrics to electricians.

Saying that it sounds like you've probably had it lying around for years and it has zero safety devices fitted anyway.

That's why I asked how he's wiring it.

Does it run okay with no load to the motor.

Hi all,

I’m new here so thanks in advance.

I have removed a single phase 2.2kw motor from a compressor in order to put it on a table saw.

The motor runs fine when not under load. When I connect it to the saw and start it however, it blows the 13a fuse in the plug.

I have subsequently wired it into a 3 phase starter (as that is what I had) and the same thing continues to happen with the 13a fuse.

What could I be doing wrong here?

Or is it simply a case that the motor is drawing too much power under when under load for the 13amp plug?

Thanks in advance

Seriously you should leave it to us professionals. You really shouldn't be messing around with the wiring and it's obvious your basic knowledge is redundant! For gods sake take it to an electrician or bin in it! Bloody farmers

Reply to Help with 2.2kw electric motor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net